C4 Forums | Control4

Displaying photos from PC

jjackson

Apple TV just to show photos? C4 has a photo screensaver agent built in for releases later than 1.3.2

What controller are you using? Media Controllers / HC500s have built in storage that you can copy photos to.

Do you have a USB drive you aren't using? You can plug it into the controller and it can read photos from there.

Do you have a network attached storage device on your LAN? The controller can read photos from here too.

Thanks for the reply. I use the screensaver function but I would like to have control of the photos that display. For example if we take a family trip I would like to be able to browse to the folder that those folders are stored in and be able to view them as thumbnails and then select when I want to see a picture on full screen. I have the HC500 and have stored pictures on it but can't figure out how to display them other than through the screensaver. I do have all my photos on my computer which is connect to my LAN can I access my computer from the TV display? I haven't tried the USB yet, does it allow me to browse what is on the USB?

Thanks

Tivo can do this. A media center PC could do this. The C4 photo screensaver would not work for your situation since you're wanting to show some specific photos -- a slideshow as opposed to just some background images.

Also check your DVD player. I was surprised and pleased to see that my DVD player has a USB port on the front. I can plug in a thumb drive and view the images from it. Alternatively you could always use software to burn photos to a DVD or VCD and play them in just about any DVD player.

Depends on what functionality you need and what you want to spend . . .

Sorry for my lack of knowledge it sounds like I would really like to use a media center PC. Can you tell me what the difference between my current PC and a media center PC is. Can my current PC act as a media center PC?

The main aspect of a media center PC that you would need would be the fact that a media center pc will output video, such as component or HDMI. You'd need your dealer to include that as one of your video sources. The easiest thing would be if the PC is either controllable from wherever you'll be watching the slides, or if you start a slideshow and leave it running, because trying to control the PC in another room using a remote control is not the easiest thing to do.

The media center PC would definitely have the video outputs you'd need, but many other PCs would also have it.

• 3 weeks later...

i am using an Apple MAC mini to do this and it works great. My C4 remote is programmed to take control of the MAC frontrow application so i can not only view pictures stored on the MAC in neat folders but i can also watch video clips neatly categorised and as a bonus i can switch between the MAC desktop and the MAC frontrow application and use the PC to browse as well using my PLASMA as a monitor

Archived