C4 Forums | Control4

control of sonos

Zegma

• 2 weeks later...

I've thought long and hard too about this sort of basic Sonos control...

Using a bit of lateral thinking (and since Sonos controller software is pretty closed shop and hardware lacks IR), perhaps the is another way...

I think the conduit will be the iphone. We need someone to write a simple iphone app that basically launches either the c4 or sonos app, then does the "basics" on/off (or mute/unmute) functions as you put it....

Being able to clear all the clutter off an itouch would be a start....Is there any way to drag all of the app icons off an itouch leaving you with just the sonos and C4 apps "alone" on the screen? Sort of like turning the itouch into JUST a "remote".....

Is there any way to drag all of the app icons off an itouch leaving you with just the sonos and C4 apps "alone" on the screen? Sort of like turning the itouch into JUST a "remote".....

You may already know this, but...........depending on how many apps you already have you could just put the c4 & sonos app on a seperate page. Therefore eliminating the "clutter" around those apps. Just a thought! If you wanted you can even dock them at the bottom (one of the four static icons), you'd just lose one or two to the c4 and/or sonos app icons.

Zegma...whilst waiting for someone to write some sonos control into C4 (now I know I'm "dreaming":P!) I have done a rather "clunky" workaround for basic on/off control of sonos.

If you are using ZP80's or ZP90's, hook them up in the main living/family areas to a power amp that has an autosense input. Power this amp into a power socket with C4 control. That way you should be able to program some useful logic..ie lets say your music is playing (via sonos) in the family room and the phone rings, or you want to watch TV instead of listening to music. Some simple C4 logic can shut off the power amps (but the zone players keep playing along "all silent"). When you have finished talking or watching TV, the reverse of this logic can switch the power amps back on. If they have autosense...they will pick up the ZP's input and presto....music back on.

Alternatively, control the amps with a 12V trigger.

I know it is a rather clumbsy "mute" and there may be other ways (eg writing an app to control the sonos controller on a mac..which would also need IR control of the mac)

But at least it works!!:)

Archived