C4 Forums | Control4

Motioneyeos

I personally haven’t but you could use a generic ip camera driver to see if you can pull in the streams of your cameras I’m guessing you’ll be using ip cameras

You could also have he HDMI of your raspberry pi going into a matrix and using the chowmain driver to control it via ip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mPower said:

Has anyone been able to integrate a Raspberry Pi board running MotioneyeOS (https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/wiki/Installation) with their C4 installation?

What would be the main reasons to use this vs off the shelf security cameras that do things like POE and IR?

Don't get me wrong. I like me a cool hardware project.

3 hours ago, Pounce said:

What would be the main reasons to use this vs off the shelf security cameras that do things like POE and IR?

Don't get me wrong. I like me a cool hardware project.

Given that it's a camera that I will likely use inside my home, I like the idea of having a greater degree of control over the hardware and software.  Do I know for sure that the hardware and software aren't sending video of the inside of my home back to China?  No.  But I think this is better than most of the alternatives.

Do you know of a small, POE camera that easily works with C4 and behaves responsibly?

1 hour ago, mPower said:

Given that it's a camera that I will likely use inside my home, I like the idea of having a greater degree of control over the hardware and software.  Do I know for sure that the hardware and software aren't sending video of the inside of my home back to China?  No.  But I think this is better than most of the alternatives.

Do you know of a small, POE camera that easily works with C4 and behaves responsibly?

I like Hikvision. I configure them on a closed network. You have quite a bit of flexibility in blocking communication on your own network. Disable things like DDNS on the camera before connecting it to a network that has internet access.

I can appreciate wanting control over the firmware. Makes sense. A person just has to weigh the trade-offs. Lots of good security cameras out there for indoors. There are cameras I would have accessible and there are cameras I would keep on a closed network. Like the kids room. But everyone has a different relationship with privacy and risk vs features and convenience.

Check out the Hikvision cube cameras. They can be nice to try out because they can be wireless and powered by a brick. You can try different locations until you find one you like and then mount and wire POE. They have good in camera features and good motion detection and IR.

What sort of need do you have? Do you want something more or less hidden for checking on the babysiter or maybe you want to check on the wellbeing of your dog while you are at work? 

Hikvision is oem for a lot of other brands. I'm less trusting of those brands, but you are right to be concerned about camera firmware. Best solution is always a closed network for security cameras and never wifi.

• 2 years later...
On 4/1/2018 at 10:45 AM, mPower said:

Has anyone been able to integrate a Raspberry Pi board running MotioneyeOS (https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/wiki/Installation) with their C4 installation?

Hello mPower. I was just wondering if you had been successful in integrating MotioneyeOS with Control4? I am currently attempting the same integration and would be interested in hearing about your progress.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.