C4 Forums | Control4

HC200 to TV Connection

hehateme

As a part of my Control4 install I am moving my equipment from the master bedroom to the master walk in closet.

Only the TV will be on the wall and rest of the equipment will be in the closet including HC200, Denon AVR 4306, Oppo DVD Player and DirecTV HD Receiver.

I was under the impression that I have adequate wiring in place. However when I look at the cables in my closet I only find just 1 RG 59 cable that was run from the closet to the TV in the bedroom. TV is Pioneer PDP-5080. It is 720p TV.

My question is about the video quality from all the above components to the TV. Can a RG59 carry 720p signal to a distance of 25 feet?

Should I go through the time and expense of running a HDMI or Component video cable via fishing?

Thanks

You Denon AVR 4306 will up convert analog video to HDMI. You could get by with running an HDMI cable from the TV to your Denon. Hookup all the components to the Denon and let it do video switching and up conversion. I would also run at least one Cat-5 to the TV for control.

Since the TV is only 720P you could get by with just component. The draw back of this is that the Denon might not down convert HDMI to component.

How far of a distance is it from the TV to the closet?

You might also consider installing a conduit. this will future proof your install.

Alan,

You are correct about Denon 4306 not converting from HDMI to Component.

I already have 1 RG59, 1 Cat5e and speaker cables running from Closet to TV.

I also have 1 Cat5e, 1 RG6, 1 Crestnet, running from basement to the TV in the bedroom.

If I had to guess the distance between Closet to the TV it is between 25 to 30 feet.

Can I get away with Monoprice 30 to 35 feet HDMI cable?

I am not sure how it will cost to pull these cables. The rooms are on the second floor so the installer should be able to use the attic to pull the cables.

Thanks

Alan,

You are correct about Denon 4306 not converting from HDMI to Component.

I already have 1 RG59, 1 Cat5e and speaker cables running from Closet to TV.

I also have 1 Cat5e, 1 RG6, 1 Crestnet, running from basement to the TV in the bedroom.

If I had to guess the distance between Closet to the TV it is between 25 to 30 feet.

Can I get away with Monoprice 30 to 35 feet HDMI cable?

I am not sure how it will cost to pull these cables. The rooms are on the second floor so the installer should be able to use the attic to pull the cables.

Thanks

You could use baluns to do component over the single Cat-5e and run the IR control over the coax.

Since the TV only does 720p this will work as long as all of your equipment has component output. The cost of the baluns should be cheaper than purchasing a 30 foot HDMI and paying to have it installed.

There are HDMI baluns that can use asingle Cat-5e but I have never used them.

I love this idea of using balun's to send 720p signal over Cat5e. I took measurements and the cable I would have to buy would be 50 Ft HDMI cable.

Cable itself is reasonable but getting it pulled might be expensive.

What balun do you recommend?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi:

It turns out that the folks who did the install for me ran RG59 5-Wire mini cable. This one cable has 5 RG-59 cables in it.

I thought they had just run 1 RG59 so I was mistaken.

Has anyone heard about this cable before? Will this work for 720p HD signal from Denon 4306 to Pioneer PDP5080 TV?

I am trying to determine if I will get better video performance with a HDMI to make it worthwhile to fish the cable.

Thanks

Archived