C4 Forums | Control4

NeoThings Borrego vs Shinybow LESB5588

rsmith

Does anyone have experience with either the NeoThings Borrego or the ShinyBow LESB5588? I'm working on building out my C4 project and need a 8x8 component switch. I'll be converting the component to cat6 over baluns and will have some runs of 120-140 feet. I'm concerned about the video quality over the runs.

The Shinybow as a much higher bandwidth for the video compared to the Borrego, but numbers don't always equal quality.

Note: I'm not planning to go with a cat5 output switcher as eventually I'll finish a basement and will likely simply pull component cables to the tv locations. Plus, I'm a little leary of possibly being locked into a specific balun if I got the cat5 output route.

Thanks

Robert

If I go with the Shinybow switch I would likely use their baluns. With the Borrego it looks like NeoThings may only have receivers for baluns to go with the concord switch, not tranmitters, so I'll have the figure out which baluns to use from there.

Are you using baluns with your Borrego?

No, my friend that I installed it for is using straight component pulls to the TV using mini coax.

With neothings, concord switch has the transmitters built-in, and you buy the Hornet in-wall receivers to put by the display device.

You could, I suppose, use the Borrego, and have the component go through a CAT5 balun and then back to component for the TV.

From your post it seems like you are not interested in the NeoPro Concord, but I can speak to the image quality of the NeoPro products. My installer originally suggested the Borrego and I asked him to look at the Concord. Mostly to reduce overall cost (only 1 balun instead of two for each drop). I have 6 video end points (all flat panel LCDs), 3 cable boxes (HD DVRs from Time Warner), 2 IP cameras, 1 DVD and 1 game port as sources. The HD output is brilliant! I would highly recommend the product. I've been using it since 6 months.

I have no experience with Shinybow products. I'm an end-user not a dealer.

I fearfully bought a shinybow switch about two years ago because it was a great value. I bought the SB-5564 on eBay from a guy who was selling a ton of them, but it now (using a "best offer") for $425! I was fearful because I had never heard of Shinybow and at that time couldn't really find any information about them online. The switch has been great. A driver was already built for it, and it uses the RS-232 flawlessly - I couldn't be happier. I would recommend a shinybow any day.

DCMAY - it's not that I'm not interested in the Concord, I'm just trying to avoid a possible situation where the company stops making the baluns and the end of the products life and I'm force to buy a new switch if baluns tank, etc. That and almost half of the eventual tvs will be in the basement where the switch is and I can run component cables to them easily. That said, how long are your cat runs and what resolutions are you running to the tv?

ILOVEC4 - are you by chance converting any of the signals to cat5? If so, how long are your cat runs?

Thanks for the input, sound like either switch will work well.

DCMAY - it's not that I'm not interested in the Concord, I'm just trying to avoid a possible situation where the company stops making the baluns and the end of the products life and I'm force to buy a new switch if baluns tank, etc. That and almost half of the eventual tvs will be in the basement where the switch is and I can run component cables to them easily. That said, how long are your cat runs and what resolutions are you running to the tv?

ILOVEC4 - are you by chance converting any of the signals to cat5? If so, how long are your cat runs?

Thanks for the input, sound like either switch will work well.

I am not using any cat5 or baluns...yet. I am going to add a stand alone BlueRay player in the master bedroom and I think I am going to utilize Cat5 and baluns...haven't made that final decision. It is between that, and using rapid run. When I pulled this wire a couple years ago the best thing I could find was mini rgb (I think that is what it's called...it has 5 wires (component video and left/right audio) as well as a cat5). The resolution is great...like I said - I couldn't be happier with the switch. I have never had to reboot it, never had a problem at all - it just does what it is supposed to. I am actually about maxed out on this one and when I buy a bigger switch or second switch I will not hesitate to buy another shinybow.

EDIT: I know you asked about the length of Cat5 runs, which I don't have, however one of my mini RGB runs is over 100 feet. I think it's actually about 126 or 127.

Archived