C4 Forums | Control4

Ongoing Intermittent Lag

Just curious if other people have this issue and/or have resolved it. The issue is specifically with my 2-button and 6-button keypads that I use to trigger wirelessly C4 dimmers. I have tried both programming the actions and just linking the keypads to the dimmers. With both methods I get intermittent lag before the light actually turns on and off.

We've also added several of the card-access wireless pieces with the external antennas to ensure I don't have zigbee coverage issues. I've also had this issue since 1.3 and it has continued through 1.6 and now 1.7.

I think I've narrowed it down to when a keypad isn't used for several hours or a day it tends to be more of an issue when I first use a keypad. If I've used one recently (say 5-15 minutes), that particular keypad seems to respond normally as it should. If you leave it alone for awhile, it comes back. Needless to say, the wife hates it.

The best I can describe it is it seems like the 2-button and 6-buttons go into an almost sleep mode and it takes 5-10 seconds for them to wake up. We've also played with the polling and it isn't clear there is any relation between the polling time (currently 5 seconds I believe) and the responsiveness.

I understand there was a in 1.6 or 1.7 which resulted in the polling issue for the LEDs but since I've had this other issue since 1.3, I don't think it is related.

Anyways, any help or knowing I'm not alone would be helpful.

Thanks.

Where is your zigbee server located?

If it’s not centralized make your dealer place it in a centralized location for it doesn’t have to bounce all the way down stairs to get your upstairs light. You’ll notice a huge lag if that is the case.

Initally we thought this was the most likely solution but after several zserver relocations, we noticed that it also happens with the 2-button and 6-button switches that are 15 feet from the zserver.

I haven't had any lag issues, ever. I use my 6-button keypads quite a bit (for some lighting control and garage door control), and as soon as I press the button, the garage door starts opening or the lights start shutting off.

My remotes are also pretty snappy, even more so since I split out my Zigbee to be on 3 different zigbee servers, one on each level of my home.

Do you have any other 2.4GHz signals in the house? A baby monitor, or 2.4GHz phones, or really strong Wi-Fi signals on high channels (greater than 11)? I would check it out with a Wi-Spy or other monitor that can tell you if something else is interfering with the Zigbee signal.

RyanE

Also, what else is your Controller running Director doing at the time?

What kind of controller is it? How big is your project? Do you run the Navigator on the same controller?

2/3/6-button keypads don't have a 'sleepy' mode like remotes, and should be available on the Zigbee network *all* the time, so I would look at interference or an overloaded Director.

RyanE

Archived