C4 Forums | Control4

New Router Question (IP issues after purchasing IRUSB devices)

Sailz

I recently purchased a few IRUSB devices to regain control of FireTV and Nvidia Shield in my project. This was as a result of losing control using ADB (Which I understand was recently patched). At the same time I wanted to add the ability for IP control of a VIZIO Tv, and to be able to play music files off of a WD NAS.

I utilize a remote programmer that I really like and trust, but given the expense involved want to solicit some other opinions. 

I currently use my ISP router (in bridge mode) with the wireless being handled by a Linksys WRT 1900AC and a Ubiquiti WAP (On the second floor). 

When trying to get the above accomplished we ran into troubles with all of it, the IRUSB devices worked but then we lost control and same with the IP control for the VIZIO. We were never able to get the WD NAS to work with the control4 driver. It was explained to me this was as a result of the router I was using and issues with IP reservation, and in order for me to have reliable control over these devices I would need a new router. The Araknis product was recommended to me at $500 CDN for the 110 wireless.

The weird thing is I can use a free app on my IOS device for KODI control using IP and it works flawlessly.

Is upgrading my router to repair these issues the direction I should be going?

Thank you :)

It sounds like the IP addresses on your end devices are changing.  This is common when using DHCP, which is handled by your router.  IP Reservations are used on your router to assign the same IP address to the same device each time.  The Linksys WRT1900AC should handle IP reservations without issue.  This feature may also be called DHCP reservations on your Linksys.  I do not believe you need a new router.

Another way to resolve this issue is to assign static IP addresses to your end devices.  You'll want to assign IP addresses that are outside of the DHCP range on your router so you do not run into IP conflict issues.  For example, if your router is configured to us a DHCP range of 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.100, you'll want to us IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.254 for static assignment.

Technically, you don't need a new router to make it work. I would also not buy any Araknis/packedge overpriced product. Those products are more about increasing dealer margin than anything. You do need to get someone to look at it that knows what they're doing. Any money to be spent should first go to a networking pro. The linksys and ubiquiti should work fine assuming it's all configured correctly. That being said the linksys home products are very limited as to how they can be configured. I will say that it sounds like perhaps you are doing NAT translation at the ubiquiti as well as the linksys or perhaps have DHCP enabled on the ubiquiti as well as the linksys if there is a real communication issue. Depending on where the KODI device is connected you may or may not be passing firewall filters or nat boundary. 

On another note, I would actually recommend you ditch the Linksys as your router and get something higher quality.  I would find a friend or local person that has some networking expertise. An all ubiquiti setup with an edgerouter ($99) and two ubiquiti WAPs would be ideal. If you are not capable of managing the edgerouter firewall and don't want to have someone on retainer to do so I would look at something like a pfsense device as it is a little easier to manage. Honestly if the changes you typically are making in the linksys are DHCP reservations you can manage an edgerouter. 

Good luck

Archived