C4 Forums | Control4

HC300 control of audio/video/tv devices

Hello being a newbie I am asking questions before deciding what Control4 hardware to have installed.

Currently I am using Harmony 670 & 520 programmable remotes. They serve my purposes very well in both my living room and bar/rec room. But it doesn't give me the lighting control, music integration, etc. like I want.

I want to start with my rec/bar room which is set up like a sports bar with multiple (3) tv's. I know that I can use the HC300 to control all 3 tv's via ir emitters as well as the audio/video equipment in the room. And that I can add lighting control as well as a USB hard drive for a music library.

With the Harmony remotes you can program multiple pieces of hardware to start up at the same time with one button via Harmony software.

I.E. push the watch movie button and the tv turns on, sets input source, hdmi switch sets input source, audio switch turns on and sets input source, Blu-ray player turns on, Surround sound receiver turns on and sets input source. It also sets up the remote for the most common functions you will need during movie watching. And you can also switch the remote to control each piece of equipment individually.

Here comes my question.... is this what can be done with the Control4 system??? (whew finally got there)

And how much can you program the SR250 remote to do specific functions for each individual piece of hardware?

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, that's exactly what happens when you push the nifty 4 button (in most cases), or any other button can be programmed to do any number of things.

For example, Press the 4 button, and the tv turns on, receiver turns on, tv selects the HC300 and the on-screen navigation comes up.

Custom button Green can be programmed to do the same thing, only start playing a dvd instead, and the system knows that you're current "activity" is the dvd player, so all functions on the remote (as programmed by the dealer) function as such.

Typically, the SR250 is programmed with the same capabilites of the remote it replaces. There are some exceptions where the remote being replaced has more buttons, etc. but most of the time people choose the most used buttons and could care less about others.

Of course, this all depends on the equipment you own, the driver for the particular piece of equipment, how much control-ability of the equipment you require, and your dealer - and your budget! Almost anything's possible!

thanks codeman I would have thought as much, but since I have been so happy with the Harmony's, well call me a bit leery. Anyhow, I plan to start in the bar/rec room, my domain, and then move to the living room where I have to share my toys . If my fiance' can't use the remote I will not live a happy life .. :lol:

My wife doesn't much care for complicated remotes, and she has no problems running our system with the Control4 remote.

Also, my 5-year-old can start his own movies using the Control4 on-screen cover art movie picker, so it can't be all *that* complicated.

:)

RyanE

Thanks RyanE

Just as a follow up..... has anyone on the forum here used the Harmony remotes and software?

And how would you compare Control4's functionality and ability to add/edit the remote functions to make it do what YOU want it to do?

I assume after the initial set up and install by the dealer you have flexibility to do your own tweaks. Right? Similar to adding or editing new lighting scenes?

Yes, I have used the Harmony 880 prior to Control4.

I think the Harmony is child's play compared to what Control4 can do at the same starting price. The only downside compared to my 880 is lack of rechargeable remote. The Harmony would never offer or control the same amount of things Control4 would - really, the only thing they have in common is a "universal remote".

You are correct in your idea of dealer-install, customer edited lighting scenes, etc.

^^^Exactly, child's play is spot on.

We do still use Harmony's for certain situations though, as well as RTI's here and there... they still have there place IMO.

Edit to add:

Harmony does have the ability to control Z-wave products, including lighting. And RTI is now breaking into full automation as well.

Archived