C4 Forums | Control4

LIGHT_STATE vs LIGHT_LEVEL

bog

I am testing a script that will send an email notification if a light is turned on or off when the variable AWAY=TRUE. for some reason I'm getting 3 email notifications each time I turn a light on or off. Do I monitor for a change in light state or light level?

1. What is the difference between LIGHT_STATE and LIGHT_LEVEL when used as an event?

2. What is the difference between LIGHT_STATE and LIGHT_LEVEL when used as an action?

When the variable LIGHT_LEVEL changed for a dimmer I incremented a counter. When the counter changed I triggered my script. I tested now using LIGHT_STATE and it seems to be only incrementing my counter once.

I'll post the script if I need more help.

Is there a C4 programming guide for Composer HE?

Yeah, I kinda figured that out. The ComposerHE documentation is pretty slim on advice on when to use one vs. the other. Is there a PDF I can print out for easier reference?

• 1 month later...

I have an event sending me an email everyday if the lights are on at 11:30am just in case the wife left them on when she leaves the house. Is there any way you can post a screen shot of your programming that we may be able to help you with your logic?

• 2 months later...
just out of curiosity, why are you requesting a notification rather than simply turning the lights off? for example - if at 11:30 am lights are on and security system is armed to away, turn lights off...

That works if you have a security system. Perhaps this poster does not have a security system.

just out of curiosity' date=' why are you requesting a notification rather than simply turning the lights off? for example - if at 11:30 am lights are on and security system is armed to away, turn lights off...[/quote']

That works if you have a security system. Perhaps this poster does not have a security system.

you could just turn the lights off at 1130 every day regaurdless.. anyone who's there would be reminded that energy conservation is important

Archived