C4 Forums | Control4

Basic Sonos control not far away...

Have found a way to add control of Sonos through IR using apple remote (via the Sonos desktop controller) :)

Testing it at the moment. Simple to implement. Sure it's a bit clumsy but at least it works. :cool:

In meantime, looking forward to C4 releasing a proper 2 way driver..;)

I'm reluctant to fully explain (not because I have any financial interest or anything) but for a couple of other reasons:

1/ I'm still testing it with the third party developer

2/ C4 continues to be all cagey about integration of Sonos. I'm really not sure why. Perhaps because it will show just how inferior the audio distribution side of their product is....I'm sure if they could put their heads together they'd have a decent 2 way driver out by now. (like AVD's one for the Pronto) They are obviously a very smart/innovative and dynamic company!

3/ But I don't want any legal issues etc. I don't see how it would be a problem, (it's basically control of third party equipment via apple gear which they are happy about already) : but you never know!....disclaimer...obviously I take no responsibilty what so ever.....

So if C4 has any major objections, they had better say so now, because it's close to release. Otherwise it will work with ANY home automation solution that can learn apple remote codes (that's pretty much all of them!)So the solution is open. Any Universal remote that can learn apple remote IR commands will work. It's just that I want to use it with Control4 because they are the best universal remote/home automation company .....period!

So let me just say it is simple IR control of the Sonos Desktop Controller (for mac). So then it is a matter of C4 sending apple remote IR commands (to say a mac mini running Sonos Desktop controller).

Dont laugh! :lol: I know it won't win the java/xml/sonosnet programming of the year award! But at least it works! It will allow pretty good navigation around the desktop controller. Certainly volume/start stop/next track/next zone/select Internet radio vs music library wont be a problem.

It would easily allow incorporating this basic control into a C4 macro...so for example if sonos is playing and you want to watch TV/answer phone, then turning off or muting sonos wont be a problem. Users will be able to configure which IR key commands do what to Sonos very easily to suit their own setups.

It wont be expensive (around $10.00 - $20.00 something like that for the third party application). And I have NO financial interest in this....just an obsession to get Sonos integration into home automation :P

I know it sounds clunky (I never said it was slick) but geez....nobody else has anything better right now.....:cool:

Congratulations!

I don't know why Control4 would have *any* problem with someone developing 3rd-party drivers to external systems.

There's just not much incentive for *Control4* to develop that driver themselves. Any effort (as you said) would be better spent in making Control4's audio work better, rather than making a driver to control Sonos.

If you do that, more power to you.

RyanE

P.S. As usual, I don't speak for the company and it's official position on any of this, but why would Control4 care that you're making the driver... It can only help dealers who are going to need to integrate with Sonos in that situation!

Archived