C4 Forums | Control4

My First Control4 System

I am about to purchase my first Control4 HC-300 - I have some concerns that I am not using it to the max though. I purchased these items as add on's to my current system (7.1 Intergra DTR-5.9, Paradigm Sorround Sound, Projector,screen, DVD Player, Gaming Systems). My order is for 2 dimmers, thermostat, 400 disc dvd player, LG BlueRay DVD. Should I get IPod Dock? Use a USB Hard Drive with MP3's? Rhapsody? Another speaker point? Is it worth the Security Camera and door bell? Looking for advice on just about anything.

BASICALLY - if you had to do it all over is there something that you couldnt live with. Thanks - Sorry again - I am brand new to this and kind of overwhelmed with the amount this system can do for me.

I'd recommend a HC-500 if you plan on doing a lot of media as it has a built in hdd already.

Door bell is slick as well with an ip camera, highly recommended! ! !

I have over 7 wifi speaker points, which are in bedrooms/bathrooms/and my kitchen and I love them. One thing to keep in mind when doing wifi get a solid access point...

iPod dock will be nice as well, if you just want to use that for media management then you can plug the output into an input on the controller and get a 300 this then allows you to do media management with your iPod.

3 Dimmers and a thermostat... is this going to be spread out throughout the house? If so you have to remember zigbee only works if there are other zigbee devices (powered) near by. So if you are planning on just doing one or two rooms on the same floor with dimmers then you'll be ok. If you spread it out to far you'll have communication issues. Unless you want to do some cool things with the card access contacts :)

iPod dock will be nice as well, if you just want to use that for media management then you can plug the output into an input on the controller and get a 300 this then allows you to do media management with your iPod.

I'd love to know how this works. Can you share some more details?

iPod dock will be nice as well' date=' if you just want to use that for media management then you can plug the output into an input on the controller and get a 300 this then allows you to do media management with your iPod.[/quote']

I'd love to know how this works. Can you share some more details?

Each of the control4 controllers has a digital encoder, so any source you place into the controller (analog) will then be digitized though any digitized output.

Digitized sources - controllers (output), speaker point, touch panels, etc...

{Here is a pic}

Thanks for the input. Currently the Dimmers are just in the theater room - Room is 20ft by 30 ft. Trying to start small and grow the system. Is there a good place or suggestion that you have for the security camera for my front door? I guess I am trying to figure out where and what I need to for in terms of spec's on a wireless camera .... along with cost justification. Thanks

Depends on what you want Pan? Zoom? Tilt?

I just needed a basic camera to see who is at the door so I got a Panasonic BL-C1 (You need power and a cat5 to the camera)

Here is your camera options (there are more): http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Computers-Networking/Network-Cameras/Residential-IP-Network-Cameras.list.81535_11002_7000000000000005702

Thanks so much for the help on this. Looks like an easy purchase....now I just need to get it set up! Looking to buy a thermostat too from someone or somewhere if someone has some idea's. Thanks agian - sorry - I am just new to this and its been great so far to hear everyones input.

Axis makes enclosures for some of their cameras that include heaters. Best to check with your dealer for your application and price budget. For enough money, I'll come to your house every day and defrost it myself :)

Archived