C4 Forums | Control4

Adding simple mac automation into C4

I've found a way - courtesy of the inexpensive third party application Mira by Twisted Melon, to add basic mac ir control into a C4 enviroment.

Why I'm a bit excited about this is that it can be done without any use of applescript (though applescript control can also be an advanced feature of Mira).

A novice like me can use C4 (or any universal remote for that matter) through IR control of a dedicated mac, to launch and give rudimentary commands to ANY OS X application.

For example I'm using this simple control to launch security spy when I leave home, activate cameras and then turn off the cameras when I return (so I don't get heaps of recoded video of my family when we are home)

Security spy for any one who is interested is a great program that basically adds security video recording (and remote camera viewing) straight onto a Mac.

On returning, an IR command can also be sent to my mac to activate sonos desktop controller. Once active, other IR commands can be sent to sonos to mute (when the phone rings), stop playing (when a movie is run), play next track etc and finally turn off sonos when we go out again.

Sonos and security spy are my pet loves when it comes to mac applications, so I've started with these, but using the same principles, basic mac automation control can be added to any mac application (that also has keyboard commands) simply by adding it into the Mira list and then telling the apple remote what keystrokes are activated with various remote presses.

It might sound complicated but I assure you it's a sinch. No programming knowledge is required. And it works on that old mac you've got lying around gathering dust...gives it something to do!

Mira has the potential to add control of some pretty nifty mac home automation apps....

I'd love to here from anyone else using their mac's to run applications to do various home automation tasks. :D

Archived