C4 Forums | Control4

Media Controller Network Failure

I have moved to this new thread from one that I was in to keep from messing anyone up on the topic.

I have a Version 1 Media Controller that I got at a bargain basement price from a no-tech person.

Anyway,

1.I have powered the unit up and all boots up fine. I entered an IP address using the front screen to make it compatible with my LAN settings.

2.I have cycled the unit to verify that the settings did save properly.

3.I cannot get a ping on the unit from my PC. I cannot get a link/power light on the back to connect. It only pulses occasionally on the green light. Polling I believe it is refered to.

4. Using a "Restore" stick, unit will not recognize the stick being in the rear port when cycled. Restore never kicks in.

5. I have no remote control for this unit to scroll over to "Info" on the TV monitor display.

Question: What do I do at this point?

I have emailed the local dealer in regards to this issue, as well as some mini ts issues....and I am not high on the priority pole as it turns out. I understand that in this economy the small projects have become the gig ones. So if you are like me and don't have thousands o dollars worth of work to be done, then I will be at the mercy of a rainy day's chance in hell of getting anywhere. I know I am a pain in the as%, but what am I to do? I have been reading this website for 3 months to learn as much as I possibly can to minimize my "needy" emails to people. Having the ability to do have "hand-me-down" parts revitalized and ready to go back into action only takes money out of the dealers back pocket, so I don't see this battle ever going away. He wants to log these hours on my nickel, and I want to do as much as I can. It's just a part of the challenge.

I am having the EXACT same problem with an HTC i acquired. It won't recover off the internal usb port either. The little light on my usb drive flash like it's being read, but no recovery. I'm nearly positive the firmware is 1.3 so it should be able to recover.

Just an FYI... Restore sticks don't work on equipment that has too old a software version on it.

The MC should certainly come up on the network (respond to pings, etc.) if your network settings are correct and it's plugged into a working port on your router/switch... Maybe that's why you got such a good deal on it.

RyanE

My idea was to get this unit up and running properly and to be set aside as a backup unit in the event my current operating Media Controller goes down. Being that a lot of lights, sprinklers, security, etc will go offline for God olny knows how long in this unfortunate event.

I always work under the opinion that "Every good plan is only as good as the backup plan".

So, Is this unit repairable? What next?

Well a lot of that is going to depend on whether you can get it on the network or not. If the restore stick wont work as ryan mentioned, have your dealer try an upgrade stick to try to update it to the latest version. If that still doesnt work and you are unable to see it as a dhcp client in your router's table and you can't determine it's IP address, you unfortunately might have a cool looking paperweight.

I have the IP address as I entered it on the front screen LCD. Cycled and confirmed the address was saved properly. Ethernet port is possible defective/inop. So can't the Control4 people repair an ethernet port? Or is it their point to throw these older models in the landfill and make someone go buy the latest $2,000 model?

Is it possible to get the MC navigator to go to "Info" and "Select"? It is on "Radio"currently and I have an old remote control. But it is not programmed into this MC. What about this Telnet port on the front? Is there any option for myself or the Dealer/Programmer utilizing this port?

Can I program a universal remote with ir code to make Media Controller scroll to "Info"? And another code to "Select"? This will allow IP address to be brought up on the display TV. This does not seem to be such an imposible task for a unit that has IR receiver on the front of it. Can I get these IR Codes to try this process?

The only way the system will recognize a remote is if there is a project on the controller, the controller is running Director, and the remote has a driver installed in that project.

If you can't ping the box, and can't telnet to it, you can't install a project on the box. I'm really pretty surprised you can't ping the box if the front panel is saying your network is configured, and it's all right.

Although Control4 certainly could repair the unit (assuming the ethernet port is truly the bad item), if the unit is out of warranty, and is such an old controller, it likely would be more expensive than replacing it with an HC300 with an external USB hard drive (which would be considerably less than $2000).

RyanE

Resetting the IP back to DHCP on the front control, it says that it has located server and wants to know if I want to save the settings. But without the Ethernet cable plugged into the port, how did it locate a server to acquire DHCP settings? Of course no progress on the connection issue was achieved.

What is the process to at least connect a PC or keyboard to the "Telnet Port" in the front of the unit? Can I at least test this port in some way to see if I can get a response of some sort out of it? I know the unit requires a telnet password for security, but I am not interested in going into the system. I only want to know if it is worth a trip to the dealer for him to make a go at it. I am sure he will probably want to go thru this port to try and Restore or Upgrade the firmware version if possible. So you can see what I am trying to achieve here, right? If this port is a least accessable for diagnostic or tech support by my dealer, then it would be good to know that before I make the trip to town....

There is no 'telnet port' on the front of the unit. There is no user-accessible diagnostic serial port on the Media Controller. There may or may not be serial diagnostic ports on the unit somewhere, but even they are not functional on 'production' units.

There is a USB connection on the front, under the door on the right. There is a reset button there as well. The other 'well' on the front is another USB port. It's inset, as it was designed to accommodate a Wi-fi card, so the Media Controller could be on a Wi-fi network. I don't know if that ever worked on the MC or not.

In any case, it's not a diag port.

The only restore / upgrade functionality on the unit is through the USB ports.

RyanE

Archived