C4 Forums | Control4

Unlocking Front Door with Google Assistant

I have a Kwikset Zigbee door lock integrated with my Control4 System. I finally upgraded to 3.0 and I’ve been setting everything up with Google Assistant. I can easily lock the door with my voice. It’s much quicker than using the Control4 app. For some reason, I can’t unlock it. It says that action is currently disabled. I noticed under the Home settings in the Assistant app only “Lock the Door” is listed under Ask Your Assistant. And when I check voice commands under voice control settings on the Control4 site only the lock door commands come up. Anyone know why we can lock but not unlock the door with voice commands?  Is it a security issue?  I might try to come up with a when-then work around. 

In Amazon, I had to specifically authorize this within the Alexa App, by including a code that had to be given after the command.  This allows me to unlock a door lock.

With Google Assistant, it actually turned out to be more straight forward:

I have a pair of Garage Doors, and set up 2 Google Assistant Voice Commands within Composer Pro: Garage Number One and Garage Number Two.

In Programming, for "Turn on Garage Number One" I have 3 Actions:
Open Garage Number One
Unlock the Kwikset Lock to the House
Turn on the Usual Lights using an Advanced Lighting Scene

I did the corresponding thing for "Turn on Garage Number Two" for my wife.

When driving, I run Android Auto, so when I'm getting near home, I can activate Google Assistant and say "Turn on Garage Number One" and my Garage Door opens, the Door gets unlocked, and the lights turn on.

Works quite well, and I don't think this creates a major security risk.  I do have an Alarm system, not currently integrated with Control4, so that is still in operation.

To clarify another thing I discovered:

With Alexa, activating a Voice Scene connected to an Advanced Lighting Scene:

Alexa will correctly activate the Lighting Scene by voice, but will *not* also activate any additional Composer Programming associated with activation of that Lighting Scene.

In order to do this, I had to create an Alexa "Routine" within the Alexa App (this option isn't available in the Browser Interface) to get all these actions to take place.

In the Google Assistant ecosystem, at least at this time, you can create similar "Routines" which will accomplish what you want using the Home App on a device.  But these Routines *can't* be activate using Google Assistant: the Assistant voice says it can't do Routines, or some words to that effect.

I've spent a lot of time trying to work this out, and hopefully this will be of help to somebody here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.