C4 Forums | Control4

Loss of C4 remote volume control with Sonos Beam

pinkoos

Just noticed this today - our 2 TVs that have Sonos Beams attached have lost C4 remote volume control

I can control the volume fine with the Apple TV remote and Sonos app, but not with the C4 remote or C4 app

There was a Sonos software update that got pushed to my speakers today, but the volume issue was there before I granted permission for the Sonos software update to go through

Our remaining 2 TVs that don't have audio through Sonos are working fine with the C4 remote

Any ideas or anybody experiencing similar issues? Thanks

How are the Beams attached to your displays (optical, I suppose). Are they ethernet, wireless, Sonosnet? Have you double checked the audio-out settings in the displays to assure they weren’t somehow changed and that they’re on the correct output? No one has logged into your controller/director and changed endpoints? I’d imagine there possibly (doubtfully) could have been programming, if any, in HE that may have effected this.

If none of this applies try power cycling the Beams, Displays and controller. Simplest stuff sometimes. Amazing what power cycling can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

My guess is the Sonos update changed something and maybe latest C4 Sonos driver is not compatible with 2.9.1.

HC300 would have to replaced to update to 2.10.6.

Yeah, I thought of that, but the issue started before I allowed the Sonos update to go through

But, yeah, I guess it's still a possibility

4 hours ago, time2jet said:

How are the Beams attached to your displays (optical, I suppose). Are they ethernet, wireless, Sonosnet? Have you double checked the audio-out settings in the displays to assure they weren’t somehow changed and that they’re on the correct output? No one has logged into your controller/director and changed endpoints? I’d imagine there possibly (doubtfully) could have been programming, if any, in HE that may have effected this.

If none of this applies try power cycling the Beams, Displays and controller. Simplest stuff sometimes. Amazing what power cycling can do.

I haven't checked to see if anything changed, but I seriously doubt that my dealer (or I) made any inadvertent changes

I believe they're both connected via ethernet

I power cycled the controllers, but haven't cycled the Beams or TVs - that's a good suggestion, I will try that soon

Unfortunately, reboots of Beams/Tvs didn't fix the problem

One last thing would be to reset your network. There have always been issues with having more than one Sonos via Ethernet. I learned the hard way. Wreaks havoc on a network. If this doesn’t solve it, I think you’ll need to have your audio endpoints looked at. Not sure how they could have gotten out of whack, but I’m running out of ideas.

Now that you mention it, I do believe that one of the Beams is wireless and one wired. I think my dealer said the same thing when he was doing my upgrade back in October 2018

Regardless, yeah, I think I'm at the point that I need to get my dealer involved

Thanks again to all for the help

My dealer never responded to my email but, regardless, everything started working again today just out of the blue
Sometimes I just don't understand how C4 works and/or doesn't work for apparently no rhyme or reason

It seriously sounds like a network issue. Did you ever reboot the network root to endpoints? Modem, router, switch, WAPs?

It’s simply amazing what power cycles will do for communicating electronics. It’s so routine that there are drivers and hardware that can be programmed to power cycle anything. I’m sure everyone else here does similar, but I program my controllers to update drivers on a schedule and to reboot on a schedule. The power cycle devices take soft rebooting a step further.

Hindsight is 20/20. I don’t know if I suggested power cycling your network. Simple stuff sometimes.

28 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

My dealer never responded to my email but, regardless, everything started working again today just out of the blue

Sometimes I just don't understand how C4 works and/or doesn't work for apparently no rhyme or reason

If you rebooted the primary controller, there was an issue with the Sonos drivers that were fixed by Control4 and would have autoupdated the driver.

12 minutes ago, time2jet said:

It seriously sounds like a network issue. Did you ever reboot the network root to endpoints? Modem, router, switch, WAPs?

It’s simply amazing what power cycles will do for communicating electronics. It’s so routine that there are drivers and hardware that can be programmed to power cycle anything. I’m sure everyone else here does similar, but I program my controllers to update drivers on a schedule and to reboot on a schedule. The power cycle devices take soft rebooting a step further.

Hindsight is 20/20. I don’t know if I suggested power cycling your network. Simple stuff sometimes.

No, I never rebooted any of the network hardware

I think my dealer has the WAPs on a weekly reboot schedule, but I'm not sure about the router, main switch or POE switch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.