C4 Forums | Control4

NAD T747 - A/V Receiver

Hey all,

I've been checking out this forum for a few months now in anticipation of putting a (small) Control4 system into our new home which is currently under construction and is due to be completed in October.

I am having a hard time finding concrete information on whether or not the NAD T747 would integrate with Control4 properly.

A local dealer has told me that NAD amps don't have discreet ON / OFF, and are therefore not recommended....(he may have been referring to an older model......)

On the other hand, I read on the NAD site that they have RS232 capability and will integrate with Control4, Crestron, AMX etc....

I have an exceptional 'inside line' for NAD gear and have read some amazing things about their sound quality. I am hoping that I can use this unit with Control4 gear. Does anyone know if it will integrate properly? Is there somewhere I can go to find out?

TD

I check the default list of drivers that cones with C4 for NAD. I didn't see a 747, do you mean a 774? There is still not a driver for a 744 but there is a serial driver for the 775 . There are only 8 total drivers listed for the NAD products. Often one can use a driver for a similar model and have no problems controlling the components.

You dealer may be able to create a driver or modify an existing NAD driver to work with you NAD receiver. This work takes time which = $$$. Dealers often also share drivers so you dealer can check the C4 dealer forum to see if anyone has a specific driver for your model. It would be fair to your dealer know what hardware you want to use so he can devise and test drivers.

I have work on system that have NAD components that work well with C4 so I have no doubt that C4 can control the NAD gear.

Edit

I just did a search and see that there is a T747, so disregard my question about the model. My comments about using existing drivers is still valid.

Thanks hennaie. Great info.

Here is a link to the product I was talking about....

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T-747-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver

It seems that the T747, and T737 are the newest A/V receivers that NAD has put out. Maybe there hasn't been enough of them in circulation yet.

Is there a way to find out if the 'discrete ON/OFF' is an issue???

Anyone else know anything about NAD lineup???

TD

I just did a search and see that there is a T747, so disregard my question about the model. My comments about using existing drivers is still valid.
Maybe there hasn't been enough of them in circulation yet.

He edited his post to add that he found that driver...

I am not very familiar with the NAD line of products. That said I would find it hard to believe that a higher end product like NAD would not have discrete on/off commands.

Many power amps don't have discrete on/off commands or any control other than a 12v trigger that is usually hooked to the surround processor. When the surround process of turns on the 12 volt trigger turns on the power amp.

• 1 month later...

OK. Now i am totally confused......

I literally, just finished sending an e-mail to order the new Onkyo TX-NR807 when I log in to this forum to find out that NAD has signed a licensee agreement with C4 and will be producing a module for their receivers that will act as a C4 controller.

What to do?

Will there be an operational advantage to having the controller built into the receiver? (one press release seemed to indicate that the Control4 GUI would be built in to the receivers OSD, which could be VERY slick) Should I wait and purchase the NAD product vs. going ahead with the Onkyo?

I was picking the Onkyo over the NAD because of the fact that it is a Network Receiver and would be able to take advantage of Internet Radio etc....

Argh.....Technology is amazing------and frustrating....

Side

Archived