C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat help please!

Hi,

I just got a new furnace (York affinity) and I'm having problems with my Control4 thermostat.

I have 4 wires (same as old furnace when everything worked OK)...Red is to RH, Green to G, Yellow to Y1, While to W1, and a jumper cable from RH to RC. When I have "steal power" off everything runs perfect (heat and cool). The second I turn "steal power" on, whether I pick Heat or Cool, it turns both on at the same time (so gas furnace turns on and AC at the same time).

Has anyone seen this before or have anything ideas to try?

Dave

This can occur with power stealing. It is due to the design on many newer furnaces.

The problem is caused by how power stealing works. During power stealing the t-stat must trickle a very small amount of power down the G, Y1 and W1 wires. This small amount of power can appear to the furnace as the t-stat calling for both heat and cool at the same time.

The best solution is to have an additional conductor added for a common wire to the TS of the t-stat to the common side of the HVAC transformer.

Here is a blurb form some C4 documentation

HVAC configurations that utilize an integrated digital control panel (as part of a zoning system or built into the heating or cooling equipment) are more likely to encounter difficulties interfacing with a power stealing thermostat. This results from the small voltage disturbances cause by power stealing which cause more sensitive digital control boards to incorrectly attempt to close system relays causing the HVAC system to malfunction. In the most common 4-wire conventional heating and cooling configuration, power stealing issues are most likely displayed when in cooling mode, when only the heat terminal remains available for power stealing.

There is a 270 Ohm resistor included with the t-stat. there is a document on the C4 dealer support forum on how to install this resistor.

However, the common wire is the best solution as even the resistor might not fix the problem.

The dealer site is down at this time. Normally we would give this document to your HVAC guy so I don't see why you shouldn't have it.

Since the doc is not accessible at this time I will provide a wiring diagram of a typical single-stage HVAC system with the resistor in place. The resistor is installed between the common side of the transformer and the W or W1 terminal. It must be installed at the HVAC unit and not in the t-stat.

If you don't feel comfortable installing the resistor I encourage you to have a qualified HVAC tech install it. I still recommend the common wire as a solution. If it is too difficult to run more wire than the resistor would be my second choice.

The dealer site is down at this time. Normally we would give this document to your HVAC guy so I don't see why you shouldn't have it.

Since the doc is not accessible at this time I will provide a wiring diagram of a typical single-stage HVAC system with the resistor in place. The resistor is installed between the common side of the transformer and the W or W1 terminal. It must be installed at the HVAC unit and not in the t-stat.

If you don't feel comfortable installing the resistor I encourage you to have a qualified HVAC tech install it. I still recommend the common wire as a solution. If it is too difficult to run more wire than the resistor would be my second choice.

Thanks so much, I'll give this to my HVAC person when he comes out tomorrow to fix it.

thanks

Dave

ok if got one for ya... i have a c4 stat that wont steal power. its stays on batt all the time.

my furnace is for heat only no ac so i have basically 3 wires. red to RH Green to G and white to W1

this should just work right? do i need to jump any connections or use a common wire?

ok if got one for ya... i have a c4 stat that wont steal power. its stays on batt all the time.

my furnace is for heat only no ac so i have basically 3 wires. red to RH Green to G and white to W1

this should just work right? do i need to jump any connections or use a common wire?

Power stealing will not work in a heat or cool only system. You will need a common wire.

Archived