C4 Forums | Control4

Music Scans OK But Won't Play

I have searched through other posts but have not found this exact same problem. I am hoping someone else out there may have had the same issue and a successful resolution.

I have a large music library that I have recently migrated to a home-built rig running Windows Home Server. I was successfully able to scan/catalog the library using Easy Importer. The music shows up in Navigator and CHE but when I attempt to play music, the system does one of two things - 1) gives every appearance of playing the music, but I get silence or 2) the system reboots (Navigator refreshes).

My C4 system has been operating for a year or more now and I have been using this music library successfully in several configurations:

1) all files on external HD attached to HC500 via USB

2) files split between HC500 internal drive and external HD on USB

3) files split between HC500 internal drive and networked PC running XP

My efforts to date to solve this problem have included:

1) deleting and re-scanning the folders on the server

2) loading project backed up prior to the addition of the server to the system and repeating the scanning/cataloging of the files

3) putting some files back on the HC500 drive and trying it with and without the networked files

4) creating a dedicated user account in Windows Home Server for the C4 system

5) praying, begging, animal sacrifice...;)

I made some progress when I was able to get the files on the HC500 to play when there was no networked media but I still had problems with the system abruptly rebooting/refreshing when I tried navigating with the media controls. When networked media was present, the media on the HC500 would not play.

As far as I can tell, there are no other negative impacts on the other system functions (lighting, HVAC etc). I'm not sure it it matters, but I did replace my wireless router a few weeks before I put the server into the system. I replaced a failed Linksys WRTxxx with a TrendNet TEW 639GR. I have always had, and continue to use a D-Link 8 port 10/100 switch. I was using the Gigabit ports on the new router and, thinking that this might be the problem, moved everything to the D-Link switch but there was no change.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

What firmware is your Contorl4 system running? Is the HC500 the only controller in the project?

I'm running 1.7.3.20, updated a couple of months ago (without issue). I'm also using the latest version of CHE. The HC500 is my only controller.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. The system is 1.7.3.68 (latest). I have 5 mp3 files that are scanned in and have no issue.

When I hit play, it brings them up but then quickly cycles through 1 of 5, 1 of 4, 1 of 3, 1 of 2, 1 of 1 and then no music. It doesnt play.

I get the same problem with Rhapsody. It brings up the music and then quickly cycles through and doesnt play any music.

Any ideas?

Archived