C4 Forums | Control4

Relay

Hi There

Its my first post and I'm seaking for help. Ihave fitted a HC 300 and connected one of my relays to my electronic gate. For some reason I cannot ( neither can my dealer) switch on my outsice lights when my relay is triggered. Could someone please help me. I've done the logical step " When relay is triggered ( or gate closes or gate opens) turn on outside lights ( or outside lightning scene ) but it still doesn't work. when I write the prog and execute only the lights goes on. when I remote trigger, only the gate moves. Please help

Neil

:(

While I haven't thought about this enough to consider why the programming based on the relay isn't working, I can tell you it would be a good idea to put a sensor on the gate. That gives you discreet open/close controls, you can see the status of the gate, and you can write your programming around that.

That is how mine works...

Get a card access wireless contact sensor and install it in a somewhat weather proof box near the gate. Then you can just run a wire from the wireless contact sensor to half of the switch (the other half is just a magnet, no wire). I don't know what material your gate is made from, but you can either put the sensor INSIDE the gate (this way it is invisible) or you can mount it discreetly on the back side of the gate.

Depending on how your gate opens there may be more creative ways as to where to mount the sensor. They just need to seperate by about an inch to detect that they are open.

The sensor could be as little as about $3, it depends on whether you need a wide gap sensor or not.

The $3 sensor is going to need to be less than about 3/4 of an inch apart when closed to register closed.

This can be an issue with some gates, depending on how they open and close.

I used "wide gap" magentic sensor switches, which I bought online for about $12. These switch will register closed when they are as far as about 6 or 8 inches apart.

Archived