C4 Forums | Control4

Chromecast dual-purpose install (audio streaming and video)

g8rfn2

Hi all,

I recently removed a device from my Key Digital AV over IP system that wasn't needed any more. This has free'd me up to try something I have been wanting to do, but I need some help and have some questions.

In short, my audio solutions are a bit "old school" at this point, i guess... so I am looking for an inexpensive way to make some improvements in audio in particular. 

Right now, I have 3 old Sonos Connects in the rack for audio use. The problem is... we are big YouTube Music fans and I hate how the Sonos app limits functionality. It didnt bother us as much with Google Play Music because we could still stream directly to the Sonos Connects if / when we wanted to. But, ever since that went away, we've been forced to just use the Sonos app. I've been lazy, and busy... and am just now getting around to looking into better solutions for it. 🙂

In short, I have replaced the open KD transmitter connection with a Google Chromecast. But, I'd like it added as BOTH a watch device (in room's w a TV) AND a listen device (in rooms w speakers). I *think* I can do this by buying an audio extractor and feeding the audio back into the C4 system? But, will audio still be passed along the HDMI over IP beyond the extractor as well? I wouldn't want to lose that audio for the cases where it's a watch device. Also, in a room where I have BOTH like out on our deck... Would that allow me to both watch it on the TV and push the audio to the ceiling speakers?

If any of the above is correct... In theory, I think i could technically replace ALL my Sonos Connect's because I also have 3 Roku Ultra's that I currently only use for video use. And, I'm happy to buy a couple more Chromecasts and extractors if necessary. But, apparently YT Music will stream directly to the Roku's as well (which i had never bothered to look at).

Anyway, I hope all that makes sense? I'm sure many of you have done some creative things like this, and I'm just looking for feedback / pro's cons / etc? I would need a dealers help to do some setup for me as I don't think I can add listen devices from CHE, only assign them once they are added. 

Thanks,

-Matt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.