C4 Forums | Control4

Loading Controller Devices

4Sight connection question as it relates to installing a new wireless router:

The wireless on my old D-Link (DI-634M) died so I just installed a Belkin N+. So far, so good ... except ...

I can't seem to connect to my online 4Sight account any more. There are three "Connection Status" messages that appear (in order):

- "Connecting to controller..." (seems to work)

- "Loading controller devices..." (stays hung for a minute or so)

- "There was a problem connecting to the controller [4217126]"

I'm an end-user but I'm also a developer and I'm familiar with basic networking. Are there any router-specific/firewall settings I need to worry about? Are there any logs I can inspect on my network to see what my controller thinks is the issue?

FYI - I did reboot all devices after installing the new router and my NAS/Music is working just fine. I can also load HE without a problem.

Thank you.

Try putting the controller in a DMZ zone if possible to see if that fixes it temporarily. If it does, then it's confirmed that the issue is WAN<->LAN, and you need to look at firewall settings. What I believe confirms this is the fact that your LAN is working fine.

This was another of past problems for me as well. Since I received no help from my dealer I merely waited it out and, without doing anything to my equipment, the connection resumed in a day or day and half (?). I have since moved from routing through an ONT to using a dedicated firewall box and switch. No more problems on this set of equipment but I don't suspect this was a direct root cause.

Codeman,

Good job! I added the IP to the DMZ and it worked. Then, I realized that I hadn't assigned the static IP + MAC address combo in the DHCP list. I added it and tested ... it still worked. I then removed the IP from the DMZ ... and it still worked.

So, perhaps the issue was more related to the IP + MAC id versus the DMZ but you got me going in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Archived