C4 Forums | Control4

How to add 4 speakers to one room?

I have a room with 4 speakers. I'd like to be able to control all 4 of them as 1 via the room controls. However, I haven't been able to figure out a clean way to do this. I tried adding 1 set of speakers to the room endpoint 1, and the other set to room endpoint 2, but that doesn't seem to work. The workaround I have now is to program triggers on speakers #2 to set it's own mute/volume/etc settings to change when speakers #1 changes. But it doesn't work very reliably, and the programming is complicated. Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

What's the ohm rating of the speakers? If they total either 8 ohms or 4ohms together, and are under the maximum power rating of your amp (you didnt say which amp you're using so I'm assuming Control4), you can probably put them on the same channel.

What's the ohm rating of the speakers? If they total either 8 ohms or 4ohms together, and are under the maximum power rating of your amp (you didnt say which amp you're using so I'm assuming Control4), you can probably put them on the same channel.

That's an interesting idea - just connecting two speakers to each output? Yeah, using a C4 multi-channel amp. I assume that means there's no easy way to do that via software? Thx.

What's the ohm rating of the speakers? If they total either 8 ohms or 4ohms together' date=' and are under the maximum power rating of your amp (you didnt say which amp you're using so I'm assuming Control4), you can probably put them on the same channel.[/quote']

That's an interesting idea - just connecting two speakers to each output? Yeah, using a C4 multi-channel amp. I assume that means there's no easy way to do that via software? Thx.

The software changes are easy for your dealer to make so long as you give him accurate information with regards to what output they are hooked to.

Connecting to speakers to each output works...I have done it a couple areas at my house. I think this is fairly common practice...

I will have an extra audio zone on my Control4 8 channel amp, so I put in an extra pair of speakers in the master bedroom for a total of four, the same situation. I haven't installed my home controllers yet, but I have been wondering this same question.

But as I understand it, hooking up the speakers in parallel means you have to have at least 4 ohm speakers, and this can also add some stress to the amp. So I just want to use the extra zone on my amp, but have them work together as one zone. Is this correct thinking?

What is the software adjustment to make this happen? There may be more than one way to program this.

But as I understand it, hooking up the speakers in parallel means you have to have at least 4 ohm speakers, and this can also add some stress to the amp.

Most speakers seem to be 8 ohm. Two of them in parallel results in a 4 ohm load to the amp. The C4 multi-channel amp is rated for both 4 and 8 ohms, hence no problem with that approach.

Using separate amp channels give you the ability to balance the volume between the 2 pairs of speakers, but is more complex programming.

As a start you could use the simple parallel wiring approach, and then migrate to a programming approach later.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived