C4 Forums | Control4

How to control LED colors on 2-button keypad?

DLite

I'm having trouble programming the LED colors on a 2-button keypad.

The background is that I have a dimmer switch configured as a 2-button keypad.  It is bound to the top button of a 5-button keypad, which in turn controls the lighting load at that keypad.  The 2-button keypad is configured to have its LEDs follow the connection, and the top button of the 5-button keypad is configured to have its LED follow the load.  The LEDs work as intended:  when the lighting load turns on, the keypad LED moves to the on position, and vice-versa.

However, I want to switch the 2-button keypad LED color to red when the security system is armed, but I can't figure out how to control the LED colors on the 2-button keypad.  I gather that my inability to change the LED color has something to do with the  fact that the 5-button keypad LED follows the load, and the 2-button keypad follows its connection.  But, I'm no sure what I would need to change in order to get control over the color.  Would I need to change the LED behavior to "programmed" and then write code to manage the LEDs somehow?   I'm not entirely sure how to proceed here. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.

9 hours ago, DLite said:

I'm having trouble programming the LED colors on a 2-button keypad.

The background is that I have a dimmer switch configured as a 2-button keypad.  It is bound to the top button of a 5-button keypad, which in turn controls the lighting load at that keypad.  The 2-button keypad is configured to have its LEDs follow the connection, and the top button of the 5-button keypad is configured to have its LED follow the load.  The LEDs work as intended:  when the lighting load turns on, the keypad LED moves to the on position, and vice-versa.

However, I want to switch the 2-button keypad LED color to red when the security system is armed, but I can't figure out how to control the LED colors on the 2-button keypad.  I gather that my inability to change the LED color has something to do with the  fact that the 5-button keypad LED follows the load, and the 2-button keypad follows its connection.  But, I'm no sure what I would need to change in order to get control over the color.  Would I need to change the LED behavior to "programmed" and then write code to manage the LEDs somehow?   I'm not entirely sure how to proceed here. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.

I'll answer my own question, in case it helps someone else.

I had to set the keypad LEDs to "programmed" instead of of "follow connection."  And I then had to control the LED behavior programmatically. It was cumbersome but not difficult.  I created variables to track the power state of the relevant lights and then change the LEDs when those variables change. I'm glad I only had 3 lighting loads to program, but otherwise it works fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.