C4 Forums | Control4

Aprilaire 8840 Automation Connection Lost

I am using the stock Control4 driver.

Occasionally (could be a week, could be a couple of months) my Aprilaire 8840 will lose connection with Conntrol4 ("Automation Connection Lost").

If I reboot of my EA5 the thermostat seems to come back online.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions how to fix this?

Main Floor.jpg

2nd Floor.jpg

IMG_4935.JPG

20 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

How can you call if a couple of months you literally have only had it setup maybe 6 weeks? 

Because now it is the main floor thermostat that went offline.  We replaced the thermostat on the 2nd floor.

2 hours ago, computergiant said:

Why do the graphics on the Aprilaire look like something from a website in 2003? https://www.artlebedev.com/everything/web/years/2003/

It's really not that bad, but I get your point. I have the 8840 as well for their entire IAQ system and it's fine. Granted, our stat is in our utility room and we just use a bunch of the 8083 sensors in areas around the house instead, so we never really see the stat and just control everything on T4 panels.

I've had similar issues with this stat/system in the past with something similar (but my stat also eventually got fried by my furnace, which is a whole other story).

Oddly enough, despite the WiFi/networking reporting as good, I actually recall that it was more a networking issue than anything else. We have all UniFi APs in our home and I created a dedicated 2.4GHz channel (which I see you did as well). For some reason I also found an older version from a while back of the AP firmware that worked, so I don't ever upgrade it and that's the only AP the stat's SSID is running on:
image.png.ac8fffcbced9f11f515e61083903d6fe.png

Can you try the Domosapiens driver for a little bit? Don't know how long the trial is on it, but check to see if it's an issue.

How many IAQ systems/devices do you have in your system? If only 1 system, you may want to wait and check out the new S86WMUPR from AprilAire. I don't believe it supports more than one IAQ system at this time in addition to Heating/Cooling, but more are to be added. Additionally, my contact at AprilAire has stated that they're getting C4 and other automation drivers currently developed. Just a thought...

7 hours ago, tmj4 said:

I've had similar issues with this stat/system in the past with something similar (but my stat also eventually got fried by my furnace, which is a whole other story).

Oddly enough, despite the WiFi/networking reporting as good, I actually recall that it was more a networking issue than anything else. We have all UniFi APs in our home and I created a dedicated 2.4GHz channel (which I see you did as well). For some reason I also found an older version from a while back of the AP firmware that worked, so I don't ever upgrade it and that's the only AP the stat's SSID is running on:
image.png.ac8fffcbced9f11f515e61083903d6fe.png

Can you try the Domosapiens driver for a little bit? Don't know how long the trial is on it, but check to see if it's an issue.

How many IAQ systems/devices do you have in your system? If only 1 system, you may want to wait and check out the new S86WMUPR from AprilAire. I don't believe it supports more than one IAQ system at this time in addition to Heating/Cooling, but more are to be added. Additionally, my contact at AprilAire has stated that they're getting C4 and other automation drivers currently developed. Just a thought...

Spoke with Paul from Domosapians and he believes the issue would still persist even with his driver.  The trial period is only 7 days so that would not give me adequate time to test.

I have 2 furnaces so the S86WMUPR is not an option.

This has been a real nightmare for me with the thermostats.  Either there are a lot of bad batches of Aprilaire thermostats being produced or there is something in my system/design these thermostats do not like.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.