C4 Forums | Control4

Change Kasa Light Swtich To Outlet

I have an EP25 that is currently setup as a LIGHT SWITCH. 

How do I change this so it is setup as an outlet (not a lighting device) so I can see energy usage and create programing with that data? 

The ACTIONS tab allows me to change an outlet to a light device, but not the other way around.

Kasa Light Switch.jpg

@Andrew lueckeIs there a reason feedback for power consumption is not given when the Kasa Outlet is configured as a LIGHT SWITCH versus when it is configured as an OUTLET?

Also, when I hover my mouse over the Light Switch in question, I get a popup that says my light "Requires OS3.3+ (Chowmain).  My Control4 firmware is 3.3.3 and and I have Chowmain installed.  Do I need to do anything else?

Chowmain.jpg

Yep. Using outlets directly as lights was simply designed for convenience and was added after the initial design to speed up deployment as requested by installers. And it won't work for all outlet devices either.

Auto setup will provision it as Outlets instead by default, and you can use the Auto-Setup Outlet Lights to link the lights. This is the recommended way (explicitly for energy monitoring). The lighting driver would be too complicated if I added the energy code too (the TPLink code is already fairly complicated, which is why it's taking so long to add new presets support).

Andy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.