C4 Forums | Control4

Hc 300 max number of devices to control????

Ringold

I have an HC-300 and see that there are only 6 ir controls and 2 serial. I am controlling via ir: a dvr, media controller, bluray changer, receiver, video matrix, and a tv.

I would like to add ir control for an additional tv in another room and an additional dvr for a total of 8 ir controlled devices for the hc 300. Is this possible????? And if so, how?

Thanks in advance

Since your need centers around ir, the simplest way to do this (depending on proximity to the equipment) would be to run an IR extender to the other room and use multiple ir buds hanging off the extender thereby using a single hc300 ir port to service multiple pieces of equipment.

You could use the same approach in your existing room to free up a few ports too. If the 300 is near the equipment in the exisiting room you could just pick up dual ir buds which would service two pieces of equipment from one 300 ir port.

When you're grouping mulitple pieces of equipment to an ir port, just be careful to put dissimilar equipment on each port - if you put two sony tv's, or two motorola cable boxes on the same ir port they will mirror each other since they use the same ir codes (if you went this route you could use masking but for your needs it seems overkill).

Good luck.

Edited to add:

Please note that your dealer will need to modify the ir connections in composer for you.

Second option (no access to run wires) - Pickup a HC200 and put it behind the display and use it's IR ports for control.

You can splice the IR and run it to two different devices as long as they have a different set of IR codes. Every command sent to either device would go to both devices, but if the IR codes are different it wouldn't matter.

I have done this before, but don't do it currently because I got more controllers and didn't need to anymore.

EDIT: dgbrown snuck his reply in before mine...oops.

You could use the same approach in your existing room to free up a few ports too. If the 300 is near the equipment in the exisiting room you could just pick up dual ir buds which would service two pieces of equipment from one 300 ir port.

When the 2 pieces of equipment are too far apart for a dual IR bud, I have used a 1/8" mono "Y" adapter and single IR buds. I used a 4" version from Radio Shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102953 but I am sure they are available elsewhere and maybe for less $$'s. I was in a hurry so got them at a local Radio Shack store. I have 2 such adapters on my HC300 and works fine, thereby controlling 8 IR devices.

Thanks for everyone's knowledgable and quick replies. Sounds like the dual ir buds will work fine for my application as all equipment except the two tvs are in an equipment closet. I already own dual ir buds from a phillips pronto ir blaster. I assume those will work fine for what I need.

Thanks in advance. Will give it a try!

Archived