C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Matrix Switch

C4CPA

Hey Jwhitaker,

re: "do not use wyrestorm component to hdmi converters to upconvert devices."

we haven'st seen that, but are only using it for the hc300 and it works fantastic. could it be the source you were using? what was it?

T.

source was sony 777 dvd. tried different cables, different converter, etc.etc. put on the monoprice converter and it fixed everything.

wyrestorm = didn't work / 160.00 msrp

monoprice = works / 50.00 msrp

look on my face = priceless

it may work with other switches and receivers, but does not play well with 16x16 atlona

source was sony 777 dvd. tried different cables, different converter, etc.etc. put on the monoprice converter and it fixed everything.

wyrestorm = didn't work / 160.00 msrp

monoprice = works / 50.00 msrp

look on my face = priceless

it may work with other switches and receivers, but does not play well with 16x16 atlona

+1 I saw it too. Was definately suprised at the fix.

• 4 weeks later...

HDMI Switching issues?

My integrator told me that Component is better than HDMI because of handshaking and switching issues.

Have you all had success with the units that you are discussing here? Would you say that I am fine to go with one of these recommendations over a component matrix switcher? My home is being wired with CAT6 (two for video distro), so I planned on using either a component or HDMI switch -- either with a Baluns over CAT6. I would like your thoughts on using HDMI vs. a Component switch if I need to purchase today.

I am being told that component is more reliable and I would like to check that with you all.

Also, the Xbox 360 doesn't show 1080p over component, and perhaps there may be more devices in the future with similar limitations, so I worry about that.

Is it true that HDMI switchers cause problems if different TVs have different resolutions? For example, the Gym has a 720p set but the Family room has 1080p. Could each show the same source at their maximum resolution? Or would the lowest common resolution be shown on both?

I am considering the Shinybow 4x4 HDMI switch which my integrator says will work with C4 if I choose it. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance.

The Shinybow 4x4 HDMI matrix switch works fine...I had a test unit and really enjoyed it.

Component isn't something I would invest in now, but I am not ready to throw it out either. I have component distribution, but with the analog sunset you won't be able to get anything beyond 576i over component.

If you're building now, wait until the last minute before you buy a switch and see if there are any new products or anything introduced. None will be in the price range of the shinybow however, unless you look at Monoprice.

Also, the Xbox 360 doesn't show 1080p over component, and perhaps there may be more devices in the future with similar limitations, so I worry about that.

HD over analog outputs will be going away. This is due to the "Analog Sunset" rule of the AACS agreement. I have posted quite a bit on the Analog Sunset rule on this forum. You can do a search and read up on it. In fact I posted the whole AACS Adopter Agreement for download.

Is it true that HDMI switchers cause problems if different TVs have different resolutions? For example, the Gym has a 720p set but the Family room has 1080p. Could each show the same source at their maximum resolution? Or would the lowest common resolution be shown on both?

In the case you present above you will only get 720P at both displays. You can not get 1080P in the family room and 720P in the Gym. This is not a limitation of any HDMI switch, but what the source is sending based on the EDID packet sent from the display. The source reads the EDID information that is sent from the display. Then the source will send the highest possible resolution that can be displayed on both displays. In your case the highest possible resolutions that can be displayed simultaneously is 720p.

[EDIT: I forgot to mention that your dealer can correctly set your system so that each display will play the source simultaneously at their Max resolution (Gym @ 720p and Family Room @ 1080p). In order to do this right, your dealer will have to have a deep understanding of HDMI routing, EDID, Source and Sink.]

Hope that helps.

Archived