C4 Forums | Control4

Estimated wiring cost

akg4y

I realize dealers here dont like to post pricing but Id just like to get an idea of what various dealers would charge for this wiring setup. You can email me if you would prefer not to post, again this is just so that when my friend goes to get quotes he will have a general idea of if pricing is out of whack. Im posting my estimated amount with each one:

HT1 - Basement - $1000

7.2 surround, HDMI runs to projector & TV location - All to HR location in unfinished basement

HT2 - Family Room - $750-1000

5.2 surround, HDMI to TV - To family room cabinet/media stand

2 Data & 1 coax to basement HR

HT3 - Master BR - $750-1000

5.1 Surround, HDMI to TV - To cabinet just below TV.

2 Data & 1 coax to basement HR

8 audio zones to HR - $1000

(basement, deck, kitchen, master bath, 4 bedrooms) just speaker wire, no cat5e.

- Run to basement HR location

7 more Coax runs to HR (various BRs, etc) - $350

10 Cat5e to HR - Kitchen (x2 in same location), 4 BR, Office (x2 in same location), MBR, Basement - $700

Additional cat5e - $75 each

Security - 4 entry door contacts, 2 garage door contacts to HR location - $300 (no hardware)

Glass breaks - $60 each (no hardware, just wiring)

Motions - $60 each (no hardware)

Total - around $6000

Does that seem high/low/reasonable for a new construction?

Seems reasonable, if not pretty good.

BTW- 5.1 in the master bedroom is usually overkill, because nobody likes loud bass rattling off while you are trying to catch some late/early cable t.v. I know of a few people who have ripped out their 5.1 setup for simple sound bars....

Just wondering, you would like dealers to post pricing, but we do not know how long those runs are. We do not know how much effort goes into each run. (ie do we need to cut holes in drywall etc.).

I think this is the main reason dealers will not post pricing. Its that we do not have enough info to make an informed decision

Its a new construction so no drywall to cut. Im not looking for exact pricing, its a 5000 sq ft house including the basement. I figure with that a rough estimate would be possible... all of the surround sound rooms can be assumed to be 15' x 15'. 1 audio zone is in the basement with the HR location so max 25' run, the main floor runs will probably be 50-75', the second floor runs will be 75-100'.

Im not looking for plus or minus $100, more like, plus or minus $1000 as to whether this seems reasonable.

Look, I don't think this guy is looking for an "online quote" here. I'll tell you this, to do a new house, 3000 ft^2 and to do it right (several coax and CAT5e runs per location, security system complete, phone, speakers & speaker wire, L-pads/source switches) will run you $15~$20K.

Your $6K qoute is incomplete. Did you provide a bid-spec or are you going with what the installer thinks you need?

Well I basically designed the wiring in my house and so I have a good idea of what my needs are, and the person getting their house done wants something similar, just minus video distribution. The wiring listed above is all that is needed. When you refer to L-pads/source switches are you talking about hardware? This is just for wiring, no hardware... He will buy and we will install much of the hardware ourselves. The wiring should include terminations and wall plates.

This is in the mid atlantic area, near VA-NC border.

Archived