C4 Forums | Control4

Managed Keypad 3 Button

I have an outside Porch Light, and Lamp Post. Both are on Dimmers. It is a 2/3 way and the back end is a 3 Button in the Laundry Room; Button 1 toggles the Porch and Button 2 toggles the Lamp Post. Don't know why but up until yesterday, when the mentioned lights are off the LED color is red on the dimmers and only red on the top (1) Button of the 3 Button Keypad. When the lights are on both on the 1st and 2nd Button on the 3 Button are Green. Why is the Lamp Post not tracking the off state? Keypad Managed is checked and it is bound to the dimmers.

I would just put a programming line in that says when the light turns on set LED to xxx, when the light turns off set LED to yyy.

I haven't tried what your suggesting because I don't see how it is really possible for the keypad to track appropriately through telling the keypad to follow the dimmer, because the dimmer has TWO led's and the keypad has only ONE. I would just do what I suggested above. It works perfectly for me...

Keypad Managed means it will follow the colors you have selected while in the system design tab for that separate button on the keypad. If you uncheck Keypad Managed it will follow the color of the switch/dimmer it is connected to either while in the Connections Tab and making a direct connection between the 2 or if programmed to control the said switch/dimmer.

For example I have button 4 of a 6 button keypad controlling a dimmer via programming. When the dimmer is on the keypad button shows a green LED, when off it shows a red LED which is how that dimmer is set to display on/off status. I chose not to do a direct connection to the dimmer as the same key functions with double tap programming to toggle a second dimmer on. The second dimmer has the same on/off LED displays.

This has always confused me a bit, but since it is physically working that way, I think I got it right...:D Also note I have the on/off colors of the button on the keypad matching the dimmer on/off status.

As usually screen shots are attached :lol:

After review, I think it actually comes down to having the on/off colors set on the keypad, which I edited in my post. Like I said it confuses me every time I go back and think about it.

So for fun, try this.

When light is on set bottom LED to blue and top LED to red. When light is off set bottom LED to red and top LED to blue (opposite).

I would be curious to see how that affects your keypad following the color. It sounds like it will follow the color of the bottom LED when the light is off, the the top LED when the light is on.

Yeah I was thinking the same, re: playing with it a bit.

But not today... as I am about to become a Grandfather for the first time!!! It's a boy!! Have to get ready to head to the hospital. It is a scheduled Cesarean for later this afternoon.. so wish us luck.

But not today... as I am about to become a Grandfather for the first time!!! It's a boy!! Have to get ready to head to the hospital. It is a scheduled Cesarean for later this afternoon.. so wish us luck.

Awesome, grand kids are the best, all the fun and none of the responsibility :cool:

Congratulations. Good luck with everything, I hope all goes well.

I'm sure everything will go smoothly ! Congrats Pop!

If you have the Keypad Managed box checked it will only display the colors you have set as press/release for that button, see the following out of the Composer Pro guide:

2. To change the LED color when the button is pushed and released, check Keypad Managed.

If Keypad Managed is checked, the LED state is controlled by pressing the buttons on the

keypad. If Keypad Managed is unchecked, the LED state can be controlled by custom

programming

Also see the attached 2 pictures from my system showing one button keypad managed and on that is not.

On further thought, since the keypad button is set to "toggle" the dimmer by programming I think the LED color on the button is following the state of that dimmer, either on or off. And since when the Keypad Managed box is unchecked and I have the On Color to green and Off Color to red, it is a coincidence that makes it look like it is following the LED's on the dimmer.

This is a two way switch. I have a dimmer carrying the loan for the Lamp Post and Porch Lights, thus the 1st and 2nd Button on the 3 Button Keypad is linked to those dimmers as required. (all 3/4 ways lights need a dimmer or switch and a 2 button, 3 Button or 6 Button at the other location. When the dimmers are on, their LEDS are green, however only the button 1 of the keypad is green and button 2 of the keypad is black.

I just got my ass off the couch and the dimmers are off and the LEDs are red, but button 1 & 2 of the keypad is black. I like C4's idea of just creating conditionals, if dimmer x is on then set green on button 1...... However, can someone eplain Managed????????

This is a two way switch. I have a dimmer carrying the loan for the Lamp Post and Porch Lights, thus the 1st and 2nd Button on the 3 Button Keypad is linked to those dimmers as required. (all 3/4 ways lights need a dimmer or switch and a 2 button, 3 Button or 6 Button at the other location. When the dimmers are on, their LEDS are green, however only the button 1 of the keypad is green and button 2 of the keypad is black.

I just got my ass off the couch and the dimmers are off and the LEDs are red, but button 1 & 2 of the keypad is black. I like C4's idea of just creating conditionals, if dimmer x is on then set green on button 1...... However, can someone eplain Managed????????

^^see my post 2 up, it describes managed vs. not managed

FYI - your set up for a 2 way is correct, but while you do need a keypad at the other end of the 2 way, you don't have to link your keypad to the dimmer/switch. You can use them so you have a way to control the load at the keypad's location, but it isn't required. That 3 button keypad could have all three buttons doing something else totally and not controlling the Lamp and Porch lights. But that would defeat the idea of a 2 way set up then wouldn't it??? :D

Even if you have a keypad button set to Keypad Managed you can still use programming to change the color of a button's LED to show status. I use the buttons on a 6 button keypad to turn on and/or control volume on my different A/V equipment. The one used for TV the LED color is Red normally, but when I enact a timer as a sleep timer to turn the TV off it sets the LED color to green.

Was looking around my project/programming and found the answer as to how the keypad button displays on/off, green/red status. Has nothing to do with the Dimmer LED's and their set display color.

LOL .. I forgot that I had programmed the LED to display the colors based on the dimmers light state.

Sometimes the answer is simpler than it would appear!!

• 1 year later...

I'm a little late to this topic, but just wanted some clarity....

When keypad managed is unchecked on a 6 button keypad and the keypad is controlling a light switch through programming (I have my set to one tap to toggle on if light is off, one tap to toggle off if light is on), does Composer know to set the color according to the status of the light?

I have my programming set to have LED 1 as GREEN when is on and RED when is off... so does Composer know what device is on or off through programming automatically? It is working so I'm not about to change it but just wanted to understand how Composer works in this situation especially if I programmed the keypad to control a different device using a double tap.

Archived