C4 Forums | Control4

New home w/ control4

itsbmw

I'd like to start off by introducing myself, My name is Brandon and I am 16. Electronics are my thing, I started with computers at age 11, I've been doing mobile electronic installation since age 14, and home theaters since age 15. Now I am stepping into home automation, I like a challenge, and I always find a way to make things work(I like to do things right once, so I don't have to redo my work). We are starting out small, with just one HC-300. I am doing distributed audio in three rooms via equipment I will be pulling from our current home. I know how to do everything wiring wise, and we will using our iPhones to control all of our equipment now, instead of the eLan wall panels we have in our current home(from ~2001), via control4.

Also a home theater, which will be controlled from the same HC-300. I know there are only 4 IR outputs, but I will be using a Xantech connecting block I already have, and possibly split emitters.

Eventually we will switch to the zone amplifiers from control4, but what we have now will work.

I want to know what is possible with Composer HE. I have seen Composer Pro and what it can do. I just want to know if the same type of programming is possible with Home Edition, I hate paying someone else to do something I can do myself. If anyone can help me out, it would be appreciated. I just want to know what I would lose (feature-wise) using Home edition.

Thanks,

Itsbmw.

First of all, welcome to the forum and welcome to Control4.

...I downloaded Composer Pro from control4's website...

How did you do that? I have spend a lot of time on Control4's website and never seen a link to Composer Pro... Now you're feeling bad about having that and wanting to license Composer HE? I understand, I have Composer Pro but licensed HE as well. HE does essentially everything Pro does aside from the setup/installation features. You cannot edit drivers, add/remove equipment/drivers, and you cannot change bindings. Otherwise it is essentially the same.

Sadly, Control4 is not for the curious or do-it-yourselfer.

It's frustrating to want just a little bit more and be willing to put in the time and effort only to have Control4 slap loyal customers in the face.

It's frustrating to want just a little bit more and be willing to put in the time and effort only to have Control4 slap loyal customers in the face.

This is the only thing I don't like. I just like the way everything works with control4, but if there is another way to go, I'll probably take that route. What do you suggest. The hardest thing for me to find, is an easy way to use iPhones to control lights, and A/V Equipment. I can always get the lights/thermostats, but when it comes to simple control of the audio/video devices, I cannot find a simple solution where I can install and manage everything myself, While getting the features I want.

Just curious, what's stopping you from using Composer Pro further? You took the effort to go get it, what is stopping you now?

Just curious...

EDIT: Typo.

You bring up a great point. I just have to make sure my equipment matches my Composer Pro right? as in versions match?

Just curious' date=' what's stopping you from using Composer Pro further? You took the effort to go get it, what is stopping you now?

Just curious...

EDIT: Typo.[/quote']

You bring up a great point. I just have to make sure my equipment matches my Composer Pro right? as in versions match?

I'm not going to help you circumvent the system, and I don't think anyone else here will for that matter.

All I will say is at least license a copy of Composer HE. You didn't buy that Composer Pro software. Some people have different issues on piracy, and it would even be another thing if someone from Control4 gave it to you, but you flat out took something that isn't yours.

I say buy a copy of HE, use Pro if you want, but understand that by doing things yourself you're probably not going to have any support network.

Here's a classic example: http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=5092

Good luck.

I'd like to start off by introducing myself, My name is Brandon and I am 16. Electronics are my thing, I started with computers at age 11, I've been doing mobile electronic installation since age 14, and home theaters since age 15. Now I am stepping into home automation, I like a challenge, and I always find a way to make things work(I like to do things right once, so I don't have to redo my work). We are starting out small, with just one HC-300. I am doing distributed audio in three rooms via equipment I will be pulling from our current home. I know how to do everything wiring wise, and we will using our iPhones to control all of our equipment now, instead of the eLan wall panels we have in our current home(from ~2001), via control4.

Also a home theater, which will be controlled from the same HC-300. I know there are only 4 IR outputs, but I will be using a Xantech connecting block I already have, and possibly split emitters.

Eventually we will switch to the zone amplifiers from control4, but what we have now will work.

I want to know what is possible with Composer HE. I have seen Composer Pro and what it can do. I just want to know if the same type of programming is possible with Home Edition, I hate paying someone else to do something I can do myself. If anyone can help me out, it would be appreciated. I just want to know what I would lose (feature-wise) using Home edition.

Thanks,

Itsbmw.

Nice edit on your post.

Like I said, good luck.

I'm done here.

I should also mention that while I understand Control4's point, I don't agree with it. I would like to see end users have the ability to add and remove equipment as well, but I see why they have gone the route they have. IMO, it all comes down to providing support/training.

I don't want to open this discussion again, I just wanted to point out that I agree users should be able to do this and I completely understand why end users use/have the desire to use Composer Pro. I am one of those people myself.

Archived