C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI (for picture) and analog audio at the same time?

I have an installer but I'm doing some of my own system design. The house is wired for distributed audio. I have in-ceiling speakers in many rooms with the speaker wire all running back to the rack. I have a Control4 8-zone amp. I want the audio for TV/Movies/Music to play on these same in-ceiling speakers.

I also want to do distributed video throughout the house using JAP HDMI-over-IP. So only the picture would go over the HDMI-over-IP. The audio would be carried by the control4 8 zone amp. Is there a way to do this?

The issue I foresee is that a source such as a blu ray player or cable box, after you hook up an HDMI cable, do the analog outputs go dead? I have heard that some devices, once you hook up the HDMI cable, it assumes you are doing audio through that cable, and it shuts off the audio outputs. Or can the audio outputs still be utilized?

Any specific experience with a comcast cable box?

Netgear 9150?

Blu-ray players like Sony or LG?

I have heard that some devices, once you hook up the HDMI cable, it assumes you are doing audio through that cable, and it shuts off the audio outputs. Or can the audio outputs still be utilized?

The above is true. Some manufacturers will shut off analog and digital audio (TOSLINK & COAX) outputs when a HDMI cable is connected on certain products/models.

In regards to distributing audio are you planning any multi-channel audio (5.1/7.1) anywhere in the house? If so how do you plan on getting it to your theater or main movie viewing area? Will you be using another amp for multi-channel audio? Do plan on just using 2 channel audio for everything, Movies, TV and Music.

I have heard that some devices' date=' once you hook up the HDMI cable, it assumes you are doing audio through that cable, and it shuts off the audio outputs. Or can the audio outputs still be utilized?[/quote']

The above is true. Some manufacturers will shut off analog and digital audio (TOSLINK & COAX) outputs when a HDMI cable is connected on certain products/models.

Do most source devices act this way? Comcast cable boxes? Netgear 9150? Has anyone used JAP in conjunction with a control4 or other multi-zone analog audio amp? Is my plan dead or do I just have to be selective about my sources?

In regards to distributing audio are you planning any multi-channel audio (5.1/7.1) anywhere in the house? If so how do you plan on getting it to your theater or main movie viewing area? Will you be using another amp for multi-channel audio? Do plan on just using 2 channel audio for everything, Movies, TV and Music.

Almost all zones will have just basic two channel audio provided by the control4 8 zone amp- no surround sound. The home theater will be the only zone with surround sound. The theater will have its own set of sources that will not be piped through JAP.

This is exactly why I leave the distributed audio seperate from the video sources audio.

I have all my video sources and their audio play through either a receiver or the speakers on the TV. I then use the in ceiling speakers ONLY for distributed audio/announcements. This is slick because I don't have the issues like you are describing, and an announcement can fire over the in ceiling speakers while you are watching video without disrupting the videos audio.

I would recommend trying to do the same if possible. Makes life a lot easier, especially with HDMI.

I have heard that some devices' date=' once you hook up the HDMI cable, it assumes you are doing audio through that cable, and it shuts off the audio outputs. Or can the audio outputs still be utilized?[/quote']

Do most source devices act this way? Comcast cable boxes? Netgear 9150?

It's hit and miss. When you say "Comcast Cable" you need to be more specific. You need to actually list the cable box manufacture, model number and if possible the firmware version running. You can also call Comcast tech support and ask them. This goes for all equipment you have, list the manufacture, model number and if possible the firmware version running.

Has anyone used JAP in conjunction with a control4 or other multi-zone analog audio amp? Is my plan dead or do I just have to be selective about my sources?

I don't think it's dead. You just need to plan and research your choice of sources better. TAKE YOUR TIME and draw a simple schematic. See my sample below. I do not show audio out from the receivers since this page only documents the inputs and outputs of the Crestron DM 8x8.

digitalstudiowerks_crestron_dm_8x8_system.png

The above is just an example. I do not show audio out from the receivers. We spend about 30 hours on average just doing drawings, planning and researching clients existing equipment before we order/purchase/install/program any equipment. Again TAKE YOUR TIME, research your equipment throughly and draw a simple schematic for yourself.

As I mentioned above, you can call the manufacturers tech support and ask them. Again, you will need the model number and if possible the firmware version running

I have an installer but I'm doing some of my own system design. The house is wired for distributed audio. I have in-ceiling speakers in many rooms with the speaker wire all running back to the rack. I have a Control4 8-zone amp. I want the audio for TV/Movies/Music to play on these same in-ceiling speakers.

I also want to do distributed video throughout the house using JAP HDMI-over-IP. So only the picture would go over the HDMI-over-IP. The audio would be carried by the control4 8 zone amp. Is there a way to do this?

The issue I foresee is that a source such as a blu ray player or cable box, after you hook up an HDMI cable, do the analog outputs go dead? I have heard that some devices, once you hook up the HDMI cable, it assumes you are doing audio through that cable, and it shuts off the audio outputs. Or can the audio outputs still be utilized?

Any specific experience with a comcast cable box?

Netgear 9150?

Blu-ray players like Sony or LG?

I have hooked up the LG bluray with both HDMI and analog at the same time and it works fine, also I have installed several Comcast boxes up with HDMI & Component video up while using the optical & analog audio outs. I am in the chicagoland area so your results may differ with comcast.

My dish network receiver turns off digital coax and analog audio if the HDMI is connected... and that has also been my experience with various media players and dvd/blu-ray players.

I use a Motorola HD Cable Box to feed 3 TV's in my bar area. Plasma TV=HDMI, LCD TV=Component, and small LCD TV via Composite (yellow RCA video only) at the same time. This way I can have the same picture on each TV. I also have a separate SD cable box each for the Plasma TV and small LCD TV so as to have individual channels available for each via RG6 cable.

I also just connected my daughter's Plasma, at their house, via HDMI to their TV. They have Dish Network satellite TV and had a Component connection. I left the Component cable connected and I could select signal from either via the TV inputs. It provided audio via either analog audio RCA connection or HDMI.

So some do allow multiple connections at same time.

Thanks for all the responses. It seems the results are mixed: Some source devices drop everything when HDMI is connected, others allow the analog audio outputs to still output sound.

I think my wiring scheme will work, but I will be somewhat limited as to what sources I can use.

Doesn't anyone know if the Netgear 9150/9100 or Control4 Media Player will output HDMI and analog audio at the same time?

If you do component video distribution (which is what I ended up doing) then for the most part you can do digital and stereo audio. I currently have 3 zones wired for surround sound (digital audio) and 4 for stereo audio with 2 more digital and 3 more stereo zones that are not hooked up. So far the only issue I have had is if I play a multichannel audio file in XBMC on the AppleTV then it works fine in the surround areas but creates weird static noise in the stereo zones. I can fix this by changing the audio output from XBMC to stereo but then all zones output stereo. This seems to be an XBMC issue, not anything else.

If you do component video distribution plus stereo audio or digital audio then you need to run 6 wires to the surround zones (3 component, 2 stereo, 1 digital coaxial audio) and 5 to the stereo audio (same minus the digital coax audio).

I am avoiding component switching because of the component sunset. JAP seems to work with my install since I have a lot of zones but I only care about surround sound in my dedicated home theater.

I want to do my system this way because it seems silly to have two sets of speakers in the same room. Plus my wife wants the hidden in-ceiling speakers, and not tower/soundbar/side speakers.

I have consulted with my installer, but my project will be his first run with JAP's HDMI-over-IP. He hasn't experimented with running the HDMI signal and audio signal at the same time. He is installing an HDMI matrix switch next week in another client's house, so he is going to cross this same obstacle and will let me know how it goes. Plus as knowledgeable as you dealers are, its quite helpful to get a "second opinion" on this forum, after all, I would never have heard of JAP and other things if it weren't for this forum.

Still wondering if the Netgear 9150 or Control4 media player will output hdmi and analog audio at the same time....

I guess theoretically you could run the stereo audio back from each room to the C4 amp... bit of a pain but doable. Even if the C4 media player or Netgear allow you to output HDMI and analog audio at the same time theres no guarantee that future equipment you want will allow it, so you may be locking yourself in or restricting future purchases as a result.

My comcast box does both, but my Sony Blu Ray player does NOT.

The problem I am having is the distrubted Audio B&K amplifier doesnt have digital inputs, otherwise my audio problems would be solved.

Must be model specific. My Comcast (DCT3416I) and Sony Blu-Ray (BDP-N460) both provide simultaneous audio for HDMI and Digital Out . In fact, the Audio Setup menu for the Sony Blu Ray allows you to specify different audio settings for each. IE: HDMI audio is set to "Auto" (connected to home theater), while Digital Out is set to "Downmix PCM" (connected to C4 amp).

Sorry, can't help with the C4 Media Player / Netgear.

Gefen makes an $80 digital audio to analog audio converter. Its very simple, digital in, analog out.

http://www.gefen.com/images/ext-digaud-2-aaud-front.jpg

http://www.gefen.com/images/ext-digaud-2-aaud-back.jpg

So if a device did HDMI and digital audio out, this could convert the digital audio to analog for my control4 amp. But does it work? Not sure.

I am using one of these BUT in reverse. From Analog to Digital and it works great, no issues at all. My drawing above shows the Wii with A to D converter going into a COAX digital input.

So if a device did HDMI and digital audio out, this could convert the digital audio to analog for my control4 amp. But does it work? Not sure.

I was confused why you would need a converter? But then remembered my C4 4 zone amp has two digital inputs, while the C4 8 zone amp does NOT have digital inputs.

Archived