C4 Forums | Control4

difference between a 2 button keypad and a wireless switch...?

jroza1

The main difference is the switch carries the load, where as the 2 button doesn't. The 2 button is used in a 3 way or higher where a switch/ dimmer is carrying the load and the rest are 2/3/6 button keypads. If control4 went down in your house the 2/3/6 buttons would stop working but the switch/dimmer would still do it's primary funtion of turning on/off whatever is connected to it.

If you plan on doing a 3way type set up ( a light switch at the top & a light switch at the bottom of the stairs or hall that control the same light ) you can "not" use two dimmers for that type of setup... You would use one dimmer that would be hooked up to the light itself and then use a two button keypad ( that looks like the dimmer ) where the other switch would be...

Lean from my mistakes :rolleyes:

Just to add my 2 cents :)

Can you use a dimmer to control the load, and a non Control4 traditional switch at the other location? I have a spot where the non-load switch won't fit a Control4 switch due to the set up.

thanks.

I asked this same question while at Tech I training and the answer was, no. The C4 dimmer/switch is not designed to share the load's control via the standard traveler wire between switches/dimmers.

edit: if you can fit a standard switch why won't a C4 keypad fit there as well??

Excellent, So in the hallway where I have a three way, one would be a 2 button keypad and the other a dimmer or switch. In the programming I would just tell the keypad that the switch it is controlling is the dimmer in the hall.

So my analogy to the wife that a dimmer/switch manages the load and the Keypad manages switches is accurate?

Well then this means I only have one ousted 2-button keypad...

Quick question though, I have not seen any double gang screw-less face-plates for switches and keypads - Are there generic face-plates that work?

Can switches and dimmers only carry a single load, or can a single switch replace a double switch like fan and light?

Do you think it makes sense if I have to move a bunch of switches anyway that I just relocate the switches into the attic and place keypads in the walls? Are their code issues here or concerns over the durability of the switch in the attic?

what are the best practices, regardless of Control4 -

Josh

Control4 has screwless faceplates up to at least 4 gang (that's the most in my house). Not sure about codes where you are, but there are 2 drawbacks to putting all your switches in an attic or closet. One is if control4 goes down you won't be able to easily turn your lights on and off. 2nd is resale, your buyer may not want control4 in their house.

Good points. The wife and I don't plan on moving. though the house is relatively small, we like the neighborhood and well we still have a few years of bailing water before we own a useful percentage of the house...

I guess I just need to stretch the wires or rewire the 3 walls that are changing.

Thanks for the feedback.

edit: if you can fit a standard switch why won't a C4 keypad fit there as well??

thanks for the response.

It is a dual light switch in a single gang box in my kitchen island, with granite. So there is no way to put a dual gang box there. The other switch in the box is the only switch for a second set of lights. I know I could remote mount the switch in a hidden spot in the island and then use a keypad to control both sets of lights, but was hoping to avoid that.

Quick question though, I have not seen any double gang screw-less face-plates for switches and keypads - Are there generic face-plates that work?

I remember seeing a thread where Lutron Maestro face plates would work. I didn't locate it right away searching, but if you look you will find it. These face plates come in all varieties single to quad and aren't that bad on prices if you shop around.

Archived