C4 Forums | Control4

IR via SR-250 will not open or close my curtians - Help Help please!!

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could assist me please with a problem that l just can seem to fix.

Recently l purchase a IR remote control curtain track -http://www.smarthome.com.au/p--Remote+Controlled+Curtain+Track-196.html

I have created a new driver within composer for ir command to open and another ir command to close. I have connected to IR input#4 on my C200. I have assigned to both Open and Close IR commands each to button e.g. * - Open and # - close. When l press either of these buttons l can see the IR bud flashing, however my problem is that the curtain track system does not repsond. I have even transferred the IR commands onto my Logitech Harmony IR remote which does open and close without a problem.

I am hoping someone could provide a solution in getting this to work as l have installed another one these IR curtain tracks for the bedroom and are now desparate in getting this to function correctly. I don't believe the IR bud is faulty as it is brand new.

Hopeing someone could assist please.

Many thanks in advance.

Since it seems that the blinds do accept the IR on/off codes from another source, the Harmony remote, I would check that the positioning of the IR emitter bud on the blinds. Before moving the bud a short test may be to hold your hand or a piece of paper over the IR emitter at it's current location thus reflecting the signal back at the blinds somewhat. A lot of times this will show that while the signal is working and will trigger an on/off command, it also shows that the IR bud in not positioned well on the unit.

ALSO double check that have you programmed/learned the correct code for power on/off into the driver.

Thanks tigrzeye for the tips, however l have tried placing the IR bud in all sort of locations to no avail.

I believe l correctly captured the programmed/leanred the IR commands, unfortunalty the Composer software under "what driver do you want create"does not have section for Curtains, so used a basic device type ''ASwitch''.

I was thinking l could somehow view RAW IR code captured from the Harmony and paste that into Composer replacing the captured IR code, but l am unsure how view the raw IR code in the Harmony software.

Does anyone has any other solutions please ..

I don't know that it matters as to the driver you used, as a learned IR command should be the same under all but that said different manufacturers of a/v equipment use different frequencies etc. when designing IR commands.

There are however drivers within Composer Pro for both blinds and drapes. They are found under MyDrivers/Motorization/Blinds or Drapes. There is one for an IR Controlled Relay, Single Relay Blind, and Dual Relay Blind.

Having never having used these, and not having drapes or blinds here at home to try them on, I don't know the extent of their control over generic items, as I added the drapes driver and the blinds IR driver to my project and neither were editable for IR codes. The Drapes driver does not specify that it is an IR Controlled relay either.

I would test the IR Controlled Relay Blinds driver by adding it to your project, bind it to the proper IR Out on your controller and double click the driver to bring up the in Composer control panel and try the commands there. If they work great, if not, I am sure others on here with experience with chime in.

Edit: Also there were more manufacturer specific drivers available by choosing Search then Online Database / Blinds / Manufacturer in Composer Pro.

Second Edit: The drapes driver is not an IR controlled driver it is a relay controlled/connected driver.

I did try to add IR Controlled Relay Blinds however as you had indicated and what l found out, l am not able to edit the IR code and or even see the IR code to paste it with my IR code.

Is there a way to convert IR to serial code? I'm really out of ideas here..:(

Did you open the control panel in Composer to try the standard IR codes with the Blinds drivers to see if they controlled the drapes? The 4 commands there were up, down, toggle, and stop. Not the open and close you may need but by luck they might work.

I also noticed in reading more on the product you have after googling the drapes part #, that the remote is said to control up to 8 different drapes. Are the drapes you are trying to control set to "Drape #1" or a similar setting and are you learning the "Drape #1" IR codes ?? Just a thought?

I can confirm that the unit is set to drape#1, the harmony remote was able to control the blinds which l had just leanred the IR into the harmony today which was able to open and close.

I do appreciate your assistance here - thank you.

One last question though, when you learned the code into the Harmony remote, what type of equipment was the code learned to? A/V - TV - Receiver?? Maybe need to create a driver of that type as well.

And did you try changing the "repeat count" for the code in the driver you originally created? I know cable boxes are really flaky as to the repeat count. I had to set the repeat count to "1" on the play command to be able to program a double play command to the * key on the SR250 to active the 30 second skip feature. At a repeat count of "5" it did nothing although the IR flashed red.

I also had a TV driver where the repeat count was set at "5" and it caused the volume to go up in increments of 2. Once I set the repeat count to "1" the volume went up one increment level at a time.

I would check the repeat count as tigrzeye suggested.

The other thing I would do is pull the IR bud off the blinds and hold it about an inch or so away, and moving it slightly while sending the commands ot the drapes. One of my devices, I don't remember which one, the IR had to be about 1 inch away for it to work. Also, some devices don't work through the tape. I would try removing the double stick tape, and then trying. If that works, attach the IR bud with a dab of hot glue or clear tape.

Good luck getting it going.

Thanks "ILoveC4", l have tried moving the IR bud an inch away and wider distances, l have also tried moving the IR bud all the way around the sensor in differnt places. Tghis very annoying.

The same problem is happending for the other room where l have the same setup i.e. C200, Sr-250 and same curtain track system. I suspect the IR hex code is somehow getting corrupted. I wish there was a way to capture the RAW IR hex code my Logitech harmony remote and paste this into the Composer software replacing the existing RAW code.

I have set the repeat counter to 1, which has not made any difference :(

I'm am pulling my hair out at this problem, l just can't seem to get this corrected, please keep the suggestions coming...

since you are using a harmony remote and the learned ir codes work, it should work in C4... that said and I don't know that it would make any difference but if you are learning the code to the harmony remote as a dvd, receiver, tv, or what ever try making a driver under the same category in C4.

I.E. if you learned the ir command to the Harmony as if it was a TV remote code, build a driver in C4 for a Television.

I don't think it will matter but hey worth a try. And test the IR controls before assigning to a button on the remote. Make sure when you create a driver you select the button next to "IR" under "how this device is controlled" but do not check "directly connected with a wire" I am sure you have done this but just grasping at straws. Maybe even use the Harmony remote to learn the code into C4 since it is working the curtains.

Thanks tigrzeye, l have tried everything you had suggested prior to my first post as l thought that might be something funny with the IR unit that came with the curtain track system which was why l had learnt the IR code into the Harmony then used the Harmony to send the IR code back into the C200 unit. I did set up another driver and this time l used a 'projector' from the Control4 devices as l thought this would be a simple device but still no joy. l can also confirm that l have not checked "directly connected with a wire.

Thanks again...

Can you get the raw codes from the manufacturer? Most manufacturers post these things on their websites. I know that I got them from PIONEER, in HEX format. I the downloaded a free program that converted them from HEX to PRONTO and they work great. Just an idea...sorry you're having problems.

I've contacted the supplier, this morning and asked exactly that. Although the unit isn't a well known model (it's a cheap-budget unit) l suspect made under allot different names so trying to get the exact name will be hard. If you do a search for IR controllled curtains this unit will appear in your search many many times over but you will not see the name of the manufacturer or any useful info :(

Thanks for your help, please people, keep the suggestions coming... there has to be some alternative to get Control4 to control these curtains.

What has me confused is that the Harmony learned the code and had no problem controlling them. I personally have not run into any learned codes that didn't do what they were supposed to on C4. I know that statement doesn't help you one bit but it is perplexing.

One last guess.. have you tried replacing the IR emitter with a different one?? And/or trying a different IR output on the controller?? Is the IR output controlling more than one emitter? While one IR output can be split to run 2 emitters, doing so sometimes lowers the emitter intensity, especially on long wire runs.

Any how, I hope someone else here has been following this thread and can offer up a suggestion or two.

Hi,

I spent another 4 hours last night trying all sorts of combinations;

1. Different Output on C200

2. Different IR bud with the doubleside backing removed

3. Different brand of IR bud

4. Re-learnt the infrared singal from varying distances

5. Tested on different C200 with different IR buds

6. Tried using a IR blaster incase the signal was not strong enough

7. Send e-mail to the company who manufacturer the system brand name : Kallox

I'm fresh out of ideas, My next attemp is to investigate making at IR kit with receiver for three conditions Open, Close and Stop and somehow attaching that onto curtian system and getting Control4 to run that.

Does anyone know if it possible to convert IR hex code into RS232 serial?

I spent another 4 hours last night trying all sorts of combinations

I think you've more than made up the difference between the budget unit and name brand. If it's not too late to return those blinds in may be time to punt and order a name brand.

Archived