C4 Forums | Control4

Three way switch not working...Please help

I have a three way switch that I have hooked up to a switch on one side and a 2 button control pad on the other side. The switch works fine but the 2 button controller does not do anything. Both LED lights are lit up. When I press it up or down, it turns green but nothing happens. I am fairly certain that they are wired properly since I brought in an electrician but I am not sure what is wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have a three way switch that I have hooked up to a switch on one side and a 2 button control pad on the other side. The switch works fine but the 2 button controller does not do anything. Both LED lights are lit up. When I press it up or down, it turns green but nothing happens. I am fairly certain that they are wired properly since I brought in an electrician but I am not sure what is wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Did you link the key pad to the dimmer/switch?

Out of the box the 2 button keypad does nothing expect sit there and look pretty !! ;)

You have to do as Henniae said and link the keypad to a switch or dimmer to control it. Or you can add/assign programming to each of the buttons to your liking and control most anything on your system. For example you can link the top button to your switch to toggle the lights on that switch on and off when pushed. And then the bottom button could be used as an all off button for that room, or have it turn on a lighting scene, or set up multi-tap programming to do several functions. Etc. etc. etc.

Out of the box the 2 button keypad does nothing expect sit there and look pretty !! ;)

You have to do as Henniae said and link the keypad to a switch or dimmer to control it. Or you can add/assign programming to each of the buttons to your liking and control most anything on your system. For example you can link the top button to your switch to toggle the lights on that switch on and off when pushed. And then the bottom button could be used as an all off button for that room, or have it turn on a lighting scene, or set up multi-tap programming to do several functions. Etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for everyone's help. I did not link it which is obviously why it is not working. Can I link the one 2 button remote to two separate switches or only one? I have two 3 way switches that have a c4 switch. The other end of the 3 way switch has one 2 button remote. The other end of the 3 way switch has a dimmer now and does not work since this is the wrong piece of equipment. Can I link the one two button switch to both switches?

Thanks.

You have to do as Henniae said and link the keypad to a switch or dimmer to control it. Or you can add/assign programming to each of the buttons to your liking and control most anything on your system. For example you can link the top button to your switch to toggle the lights on that switch on and off when pushed. And then the bottom button could be used as an all off button for that room' date=' or have it turn on a lighting scene, or set up multi-tap programming to do several functions. Etc. etc. etc.[/quote']

Thanks for everyone's help. I did not link it which is obviously why it is not working. Can I link the one 2 button remote to two separate switches or only one? I have two 3 way switches that have a c4 switch. The other end of the 3 way switch has one 2 button remote. The other end of the 3 way switch has a dimmer now and does not work since this is the wrong piece of equipment. Can I link the one two button switch to both switches?

Thanks.

if you did that both lights would come on, why not set the bottom button on the two button to toggle one light and the top button on the 2 button to toggle the other light, just use toggle and then the top press will toggle one light and the bottom button would toggle the other light, you would set this up in programming not in bindings

You have to do as Henniae said and link the keypad to a switch or dimmer to control it. Or you can add/assign programming to each of the buttons to your liking and control most anything on your system. For example you can link the top button to your switch to toggle the lights on that switch on and off when pushed. And then the bottom button could be used as an all off button for that room' date=' or have it turn on a lighting scene, or set up multi-tap programming to do several functions. Etc. etc. etc.[/quote']

Thanks.

When you say three way do you mean three switches? That is actually a four way for some reason (as I understand it). Three way means the light, and two switches. Four way is the light and three switches.

Yes, you can bind more than one keypad to one dimmer.

Thanks.

When you say three way do you mean three switches? That is actually a four way for some reason (as I understand it). Three way means the light, and two switches. Four way is the light and three switches.

Yes, you can bind more than one keypad to one dimmer.

Three way - two switches and one light.

Re-read your post. this part doesn't make sense to me:

"I have two 3 way switches that have a c4 switch. The other end of the 3 way switch has one 2 button remote. The other end of the 3 way switch has a dimmer now and does not work since this is the wrong piece of equipment. Can I link the one two button switch to both switches?"

Yeah, if you bind them appropriately then the keypad will work just like the switch/dimmer.

I would bind them, and do all your custom programming on top of that as well.

No "binding"required. I had mine "unbound" so I could do strange things with them within CHE. If the OP likes to customize, then this is the way to go.

I have mine bound, and I customize the hell out of them. I just want it to work just like the dimmer as well for when my wife or a guest attempts to turn the light on.

What I was referring to with my last post is that in reading yours is sounds like you've got more than one dimmer and one keypad involved.

Re-read your post. this part doesn't make sense to me:

"I have two 3 way switches that have a c4 switch. The other end of the 3 way switch has one 2 button remote. The other end of the 3 way switch has a dimmer now and does not work since this is the wrong piece of equipment. Can I link the one two button switch to both switches?"

Sorry for any confusion.

I have two light switches on one wall that are 3 way switches. The other light switches across the room can turn on/off the lights - hence 3 way switch.

I have replaced two of those lights switches with a C4 switch and I have replaced the other light switch with a dimmer (I know that this is wrong) and a 2 button controller. My question was whether the two button controller could control both lights that are now being controlled by TWO C4 switches.

I have mine bound, and I customize the hell out of them. I just want it to work just like the dimmer as well for when my wife or a guest attempts to turn the light on.

What I was referring to with my last post is that in reading yours is sounds like you've got more than one dimmer and one keypad involved.

In order to have full control over LED colors, unbound is better.

So you have one light, and three switches? Or two lights and three switches? (When I say switches I mean in the conventional sense, not in the Control4 sense).

I have two lights and 4 switches - 2 for each light. 1 at each end of the room to control 1 light.

So is this correct?

Light 1 Light 2

| | | |

Switch Switch Switch Switch

And you want to setup it up like this?

Light 1 Light 2

| | | |

C4Switch C4 Keypad C4Switch C4 Keypad

| |

Have these two tied together also?

Am I understanding that right?

Maybe I am slow, maybe I am tired, but this is confusing me.

So is this correct?

Light 1 Light 2

| | | |

Switch Switch Switch Switch

And you want to setup it up like this?

Light 1 Light 2

| | | |

C4Switch C4 Keypad C4Switch C4 Keypad

| |

Have these two tied together also?

Am I understanding that right?

Maybe I am slow, maybe I am tired, but this is confusing me.

I think you have it right. I want the TWO C4 Switches that currently current separate lights to be tied to ONE two button keypad that can control each separate light.

Light 1 - C4 Switch / 2 button Keypad

Light 2 - C4 Switch / SAME 2 button keypad

Light 2 will need a C4 Switch/dimmer.

When you said SAM do you mean SAME?

If so, yes, but you will need to eliminate the second switch on the second light. Either that, or just leave it on all the time and let C4 control the light. I have never tried that second part, but in theory it should work.

Yeah, if you bind them appropriately then the keypad will work just like the switch/dimmer.

Hmmm.... does the same apply to the wireless outlet dimmers? I have several in my project and they're controlled through lighting scenes. Is it possible to "bind" them to have full dimming control from a keypad or dimmer?

Archived