C4 Forums | Control4

XBMC driver - Is anyone using Nightly builds?

akg4y

I had previously been using XBMC v 9.11 r26018 and that was working fine with the XBMC driver however I just noticed that with the nightly builds (r30995) the XBMC driver is essentially not working (the only 2 buttons that work are 'Prev' and 'Menu').

Does anyone have any experience with the nightlies and XBMC? If not, Alan if you see this thread do you know of any particular change they have made that would break the functionality?

Also Alan based on the other thread it seems like you will no longer be a control4 dealer? If that is the case I presume you will no longer be working on the driver... would you mind if someone else takes your place and uses your work? Thanks for all you have done, even with all of the new media players I feel like XBMC is still the way to go by a longshot.

Actually it appears the issue lies with XBMC on AppleTV rather than the new nightlies. I changed the IP address of my AppleTV so that it was the same as my previous XBMC device (mac mini) so that the driver would work and installed the same 9.11 r26018 version on the Apple TV and it still didnt work. Does anyone have the XBMC driver working using XBMC on an AppleTV?

I'm using a dxva build and alan's driver does not work. There's a thread at xbmc that talks about the new api which is why it's not working (I think). However, the same thread says xbmc will work with the old system. I talked to my dealer and he doesn't know lua so he can't get it to work. I've also talked with Alan and so far he's not interested in revising the driver. I'm hoping that once 10.5 stable is released, it will magically work.

tum

Thanks... doesnt make sense to me why it wouldnt work though because the way XBMC works I thought is it receives commands, "PLAY"/"STOP"/"FFW", etc and those commands are mapped to various actions. The commands themselves dont really change, so if the command is sent over Http then it should theoretically still function... but then again Im no programmer so I may be oversimplifying it.

The other strange thing is that the two commands did still work (PREV & MENU)... I have a feeling there is a relatively easy fix to this, hopefully Ill track down someone willing to give it a shot.

I think this is probably the thread you were referring to, you're right looks like they made some major changes and are essentially completely removing the http API in lieu of something that is more robust. It probably means major changes will be required to make this driver work, unfortunatley... I doubt it will magically work in 10.5.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=68263&highlight=http+api

yea, i doubt it will magically work, but there's somewhere in that thread where the dev says they're not removing http so since we don't have a final stable build yet, i'm hoping its still too early to tell if alan's driver will work in the next release. i think we just need to find someone who knows python and lua. alan has even said that another dealer can take over his driver so i think its just a matter of time. my preference would be that alan do the work and get paid for it this time around.

tum

• 2 weeks later...

Well_armed, if you are interested in SVN builds of XBMC then check the 'how do you deal with media' thread here, ILoveControl and dgbrown are working out how to get Alan's driver working with the new XBMC since the 9.11 HTTP API has been removed for future releases.

• 2 months later...

I have been running XBMC on an AppleTV for about a year now..

I have a modified IR driver that controls both the ATV and XBMC for the most part but the new XBMC driver from alanchow apparently controls XBMC much better. It is however an IP driver so it will NOT control the AppleTV.

You need to create a fake AV switch, have the appletv connected and xbmc connected to it, then have the AV switch output to your tv or real AV switch. Then on the remote select between the two devices, using the appletv driver for the appletv and xbmc driver for xbmc.

Archived