C4 Forums | Control4

what would you do

Paddy

I have a Control four system working in the main level of the house, all Cat5e connection, network, HC-300 controller,NAS receiver etc are in the main closet.

Currently all connected to the main TV in the Family area. Everything works great

Now time to go upstairs and Automate.

From the closet I have an additional two Cat5e cables running up to the master bedroom

I have another cable box and receiver that I can use.

My question is barring I can not run any more cable, How would you intergrate TV viewing and possibly the C4 GUI

using only the Two cat5e,

I would prefer to leave any equipment in the closet, but exceptions could be made for example would a second controller

like an HC-200

I know they are different ideas, but without using any video switching, I'd like to have the C4 control interface, as well as access to the NAS

and dedicated cable box.

Where should the equip reside etc... any opinions would be great

Thanks

IF i put a controller Hc200 in the bedroom, will it recognize the master controller in the wiring closet ?

but it would take up one cat5 correct, however the devices could reside in the room and be controlled

througout the house?

Your dealer will program the 200 so let him worry about that. I'd stick to a wired connection so yes- assume that uses one of the cat5e.

If we assume for a second that your TV has 2 inputs that you can use, the HC200 will provide the C4 GUI and another will provide a video and audio stream from the closet. Without a video switch you're limited to 1 source in the closet. You might think about adding something like this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10112&cs_id=1011201&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=1#largeimage but I'm not sure if the drivers already exist for it. I suspect your dealer could search the dealer forums and get it configured in short order.

That said... everywhere I've tried to save money in my control4 setup it turns into a weak link. Fortunately I don't have any weak links that I could call extremely bothersome, but consider biting the bullet and buying a real matrix switch- you'll be happer with the outcome.

Hey I agree, I don't ever want to cheap out on a solution, But even involving a dealer, they have different ideas on a solution.

I Don't think many people on this forum are against using dealers, however a reacurring theme is people want to know the capabilities of a device before they buy it from the dealer.

I am leaning towards a second controller in the bedroom, adding it to the project than having the additional AV equipment, and media player in the actual room, So one Cat5 for the second Controller, and one Cat5 for the media player, so it can recognize my NAS in the closet.

This is assuming the second controller can provide IR to the other AV devices in the room, cable box etc.

Tell me if I am way off here, but I am weighing the costs of a full blown Video matrix, against the cost of a second cable box and receiver

in the end doesn't a video matrix just let you share components.

Why not have dedicated gear in each room and let C4 control them?

Thanks for the suggestions

I like the tuck away as well, But tell me how I can do it with two CAT5 cables running from the closet into the master bedroom

with the requirement of having the C4 GUI in the master bedroom, I have no problem with putting dedicated cable boxes and media devices in the closet.

I like the tuck away as well, But tell me how I can do it with two CAT5 cables running from the closet into the master bedroom

with the requirement of having the C4 GUI in the master bedroom, I have no problem with putting dedicated cable boxes and media devices in the closet.

Sorry for the long post-

Use the first cat5e with a ballun to get the video and audio to the master bedroom. Cody threw me off for a second with a link to that ballun thinking that you could do component + 2 channel audio on 1 cat5e, but the installation manual confirms that that ballun requires 2 cat5e cables. So you have 2 options with baluns- distribute component + digital coax which you can do on one cat5e cable, or use both cat5e cables with another balun which will distribute component, digital audio, 2 channels of analog audio, and IR. I can't speak to the reliability of using that ballun, but I wouldn't hesitate to try.

If you distribute digital audio, you can use the second cat5e to connect an HC200. The IR outs on the HC 200 will control the TV and any local devices. If you don't want to add an HC200 you can still distribute digital audio and then use 1 pair of the wires in second cat5e cable to distribute IR from the HC300 in your closet to the master bedroom. You also have the option of adding the HC200 via wifi.

Benefits of the matrix switch- share all your components irrespective of where you watch TV- it standardizes the interface for you (and your spouse!) everywhere in the house. It also makes it easy to pause a show in the living room then to start right where you left off in the bedroom without missing a beat.

Benefits of the HC200- it puts the zigbee access point closer to the remote to the system should be a little more responsive. I recently added a second HC300 for 3 TVs- my office TV is a little more sluggish in its response vs. the master bedroom and the living room, but I have hopes that 2.0 will improve that. Others will say that it will give you another user interface so 2 people won't be fighting over it from different places, but I can't say that it's been an issue for my wife and me. I will say that the single HC300 did have some delay switching between all the different rooms which was part of the reason I'm adding a second HC300.

Downside- cost- particularly the matrix switch. I think about the things I'd love to do with my system and the price tag just keeps going up. So... instead of doing it all at once I lie to myself and do it slowly over time and promise myself that I won't add up the total cost. If my father knew how much I had spent on C4 gear he'd knock me in the back of the head...

What direction would I go? if I didn't know what I know know I'd probably go with the matrix swich and hold off on the HC200. I started with a matrix switch and one HC300. That way if you decide that control4 isn't your cup of tea you haven't put a lot of cash into control4 equipment. The switch can be used with other systems. However, knowing what I know now I would definately just pull the trigger on the whole package as I would anticipate that the system will run better with the additional controller.

One note on remotes- You'll want an SR250 for each zone regardless of what you're planning. Skip the remote that comes with the HC200- it's worth the extra cost for the 250. I would, however, be very quick to add the HC200 down the road and be honest with your analysis about the different performance of the SR250 in the bedroom.

I like the tuck away as well' date=' But tell me how I can do it with two CAT5 cables running from the closet into the master bedroom

with the requirement of having the C4 GUI in the master bedroom, I have no problem with putting dedicated cable boxes and media devices in the closet.[/quote']

Sorry for the long post-

Use the first cat5e with a ballun to get the video and audio to the master bedroom. Cody threw me off for a second with a link to that ballun thinking that you could do component + 2 channel audio on 1 cat5e, but the installation manual confirms that that ballun requires 2 cat5e cables. .

actually this balum does use just one cat5e cable to transmit both component video and analog audio. I've used them and they work great!

take another look at the installation manual. There is even a diagram showing 1 cat5e cable being used.

what he said

WOOT! a real dealer says I'm right!

actually this balum does use just one cat5e cable to transmit both component video and analog audio. I've used them and they work great!

take another look at the installation manual. There is even a diagram showing 1 cat5e cable being used.

Then that's a really cool product. I guess I should have said the pin-out diagram rather than the installation diagram- it looks like it uses 2 cat5e, but if it uses one then use this ballun. Very cool.

Then that's a really cool product. I guess I should have said the pin-out diagram rather than the installation diagram- it looks like it uses 2 cat5e, but if it uses one then use this ballun. Very cool.

It's the same balun I posted pics of a while back - the ones stacked on the back of the rack. We've used a ton of them lately. Single CAT5 indeed.

Archived