C4 Forums | Control4

Whole-house video distribution vs. directV whole-house

2. Will it support 4k tv's that are around the corner, or will that require another investment?

I wouldn't pour 3k in networking equipment, etc if the technology will be obsolete in a few years.

I dont know if that's a stick at JAP or not, but certainly a lot of other video distribution systems dont support it either.

I could spend more for 4k support, and wait longer for 4k tvs and longer for 4k content...or just enjoy life today until those things are more commonly available :)

2. Will it support 4k tv's that are around the corner' date=' or will that require another investment?

I wouldn't pour 3k in networking equipment, etc if the technology will be obsolete in a few years.[/quote']

I dont know if that's a stick at JAP or not, but certainly a lot of other video distribution systems dont support it either.

I could spend more for 4k support, and wait longer for 4k tvs and longer for 4k content...or just enjoy life today until those things are more commonly available :)

I don't know what JAP supports or what it doesn't (so it's not a stick at them)

As you said a lot of other video distribution systems don't either. HDBasetT does support it and if given the choice (price being equal) it would be wise to pick the one that does.

Im not saying I would pay double for 4k support.

As an example:

I have 4 hdbaset extenders and a monoprice matrix for $950. The only item that will need to be replaced for 4k is the matrix, not a big loss. Of course if I needed a 8x8 matrix, well then it's a different story.

As I've previously griped on a separate thread' date=' I have JAP for video distribution. My dealer was over about a week ago, updated the firmware and they do now switch instantaneously. It's so damn fast you don't even realize the sources switched. I opted to go w/ JAP since I wanted three DVRs on 4 TVs. After we installed most of the system, Time Warner rolled out their "Signature Home" line in NYC where you get whole house DVR and premium tech support. (Their signature home tech support guys are awesome). Having installed JAP and spending all that money on it, I was a bit disappointed to learned that TWC was rolling out whole house DVR since once of my main reasons to install JAP was to get any show on any DVR to playback in any room. The whole house DVR obviates that need. HOWEVER, the performance isn't great. At times, one DVR fails to playback the content to another one. There is a fair amount of latency when operating playback controls, like fast forwarding thru commercials. So even though I have the whole home DVR, I rarely use it. I often try to remember to switch to the original source DVR to playback shows through the video distribution system as opposed to doing it through the TWC moca network.

Would I spend thousands just for better access to the other DVRs? Hell, no! But just don't expect a perfect solution from TWC.

For what it's worth, we burned through two of the Samsung boxes and now have 2 Ciscos and 2 Samsung. The Ciscos have larger hard drives but they don't play nicely w/ my IR emitters. An IP driver for these boxes is what I'd pay money for![/quote']

Yes, it was plug and play with the Samsungs. Looked into the signature home but the only thing I got was 50 Up and 5 down and I already have 30 and 5... As I said earlier went with 1 recorder and 3 playbacks from 3 DVR recorders.Will let everybody know so far TWC has worked great...

Well dealer added cable icon for master. The whole house DVR is awesome...

Archived