C4 Forums | Control4

house prewiring question for samsung 6500 blu ray player

I am pre wiring house. I would like to use a bluray player that can stream netflix and also use pandora (samsung 6500). How will this be controlled? SR250 Remote RF->HC300 IR->BluRAy

I imagine that bluray then has to have coaxial cable fed to it and then it sends signal to TV via connection directly from BluRay to TV?

I realize I may be way off. (I may be slow but I'm "teachable")

I have to say it is very frustrating finding basic wiring diagrams for control4 configutations. I have spent hrs looking. The basic diagrams provided by control4 only show lines connecting devices but not actual wiring (I/Os) to and from devices. The other information I find presumes that these connections are already understood or only available to dealers.......but the search goes on

I understand and appreciate that but it would be nice for researching purposes in order that someone can cover all bases before drywall and painting are done. Certainly conduits are a helpful addition but I would like to have a way to know that my system is covered now rather than realizing it after drywall and painting are done. I will have a dealer instal but I prefer learning about this on my own as well. Besides, it is fun learning...

chamador, the reason that C4 doesn't publish the documentation you're after is because if you think about, C4 isn't involved in any of that wiring or the physical connections. C4 can control any third party device that accepts commands via IR, IP or RS-232. C4 doesn't tell you how to hook your bluray player to your TV because C4 doesn't make the bluray player, the TV, or the intermediary device like a matrix switch (if there is one).

How to connect different peripheral to different peripherals isn't C4's problem....C4 has no idea what you're hooking up or how. You just tell Composer what you did.

Does that make sense? If I can help at all let me know...I know this can be frustrating.

And I wasn't trying to be rude by saying C4 is a dealer install, just a reason why you don't find much published about them other than promotional info on their website. Most of the 'how to's' that do exist are limited to the dealer website.

ILoveC4 is correct, as usual, with his description.

I have my Blu-ray player directly connected to my TV via HDMI as I don't view movies elsewhere in the house other than the living room. You can distribute video and ILoveC4 is a good source for info on that as he does it in his home. Every system is different so programming for each is specific to that project and the end users needs/wants. Once you decide what equipment you are going to have, where it is located, and how you wish to control it, and do all the physical wiring, the dealer uses C4's program, Composer Pro, and builds a project tree that mimics the equipment you have and the wiring you have done between them. That way the system knows that when you are in the Living Room and you hit watch on the SR250 remote, and then let's say HD/DVR, it knows you need the cable HD/DVR on, the TV on, what input to set the TV to, and if so connected powers up the receiver and sets it's input as well. Etc, etc, etc.

Many threads exist on this forum re: what type of and where to run wire. The more the better, or maybe, the more ways to get it there the better. When building new it is the time to run as much access via conduit to as many areas as possible. That will give you the do it later option if you find you need additional wiring.

Thank you for the responses. I love C4: I have read your posts regarding the matrix switcher. I am curious how you are sending the signal out from matrix switch to TV. For example, If I want to stream video from from a Blu Ray to a remote TV it seems as though I would need to use HDMI? Or 2 cat5 wires with a balun. How are you distributing from matrix switcher to TVs that are greater than 30 feet away?

I am curious how you are sending the signal out from matrix switch to TV. For example, If I want to stream video from from a Blu Ray to a remote TV it seems as though I would need to use HDMI? Or 2 cat5 wires with a balun. How are you distributing from matrix switcher to TVs that are greater than 30 feet away?

You would need to use baluns or long HDMI cables.

Alan is correct...I would go the balun or just add power route.

I currently only distribute component, my video distribution system is nearly for years old. I am going to transition to HDMI later this year, I'm just sitting back and watching right now as there seems to be a lot of innovation and new products coming out on this front.

To further answer your question about my existing setup I don't currently use baluns, I use actual component and stereo cables that I made. Two runs are well over 100 feet, which is why baluns are a more viable option for me than an actual HDMI cable. If you run HDMI more than about 15 meters you'll need repeaters/range extenders/whatever they call them (brain fart) along the way or you'll have issues.

I'm setting up on a different route, basically because my installer wasn't confident with longish HDMI runs and handshake issues. So I chickened out on an HDMI matrix for now. The different path I am taking (experimenting with :lol:) is putting bluray's out at each TV zone linked up via cat 6 ethernet. I have chosen whatever new IP enabled blu ray player has whatever IP content I prefer (this will vary depending on country etc etc). Out at each zone is an HC200 and SR250, which controls the TV and blu Ray. Navigation on the blu ray to the appropriate IP feed is by simple IR commands using the Sr250. I'm, also trialling the DLNA capabilities of my blu rays. I am trialling iSedora and elgato eyeconnect running on a mac server for this. It's early days on this one though :rolleyes::rolleyes: the file support is rudimentary at best...

So basically the wiring for this set up is cat6 from a central linksys gigabit switch going out to each "TV zone". Out there there is a small 5 port Linksys switch which you then connect to each of the ethernet enabled devices. In my case blu ray/HC200/mac mini...good luck with it all. It's a hoot:)

Archived