C4 Forums | Control4

Video Distribution

Hi everyone - I just had a control 4 system installed in my new house and went with an Atlona 8x8 Component matrix switch (AT-COMP-88M) for video distribution. The dealer just completed the install and the picture quality is not very good at all, I would actually classify it as borderline terrible. The picture is extremely soft and faded - even BluRay movies look like standard def/analog TV.

My dealer has never used the Atlona product and went with this piece based on my recommendation (he recommended Neopro or the Control4 Sony switch). I only recommended we use the Atlona because of the positive comments on this forum.... and the fact it was cheaper ;)

Is this typical of video distribution (i.e. big loss in picture quality)? Any idea if it is likley a faulty switch, faulty dealer, faulty driver, etc??

I'm at a loss, and my dealer is not overly experienced so I am not sure he will figure this out on his own. I am willing to try something else but don't want to spend a fortune more and want to at least be sure I get true HD picture (at least 720p). I know about the component sunset but didn't want to spend a fortune on an HDMI switch and whatever I use has to be transmitted over Cat5e.

Appreciate any help or insight into what might be causing this problem or recomendations on a solution - my dealer has apparently contacted Atlona but they were of little help, they want to switch me to the Neopro or Sony for ~1k more... hate to do that just for component. I currently have 4 TV's and 7 inputs.

P.S. - anyone have any success using the C4 fireplace switches with Napolean Fireplaces? I'm realizing dealers/trades in my area of the world aren't very open to dealing with "new" things... :(

I have a system with the Sony video switch. The picture quality is great, and like the one you mentioned it's a component switch too. You may want to start your diagnosis by simply taking a somewhat "portable" device (think Blue-Ray player) and hook it directly to the TV via component. The picture should look the same with the switch and without. If the picture looks great, you may have an issue with the switch. If the picture still looks crappy, make sure you're outputting 1080 for your TV from the device.

This should give you a better place to start.

When my system was first installed, I got great video from my DirecTV receivers, and from Blu-Ray movies played through the Blu--Ray player. Regular DVDs played through the Blu-Ray player looked horrible however even though the player had circuitry to upconvert regular DVDs. After a bit of research, it turns out that the player will only upconvert through the HDMI port, and not through the component. So this may be affecting you as well. I got around the problem by installing an HDFury2. It takes the upconverted HDMI out from the DVD, and converts it into component for use with the matrix. It's not Blu-Ray quality, but it's substantially better than the pixelated mess from before.

You can google around for the HDFury2... they have since come out with a HDFury3, but that is only available from the mfr at this point.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011402&p_id=5035&seq=1&format=2

One tip, if you go the HDFury2 route, make sure you buy the power adapter to go with it. It's an additional 3.50, and there is a good chance you'll need it even if your research says you may not.

Good luck.

Everyone likes to save money and this is the typical result. Zektor has a 450mhz graphic engine in our matrix switches which supports crystal clear HD pictures.

Our products also have more features and better warranties than ANY other manufacturer in the business. There have been a lot of integrators here on C4forms and and other forums that have converted from their previous brand to us. We are now their "go to" switch.

Please have a look at our products at www.zektor.com, I promise it will be worth your time.

Good luck on fixing your project.

Jeff

Everything we put direct to TV looked great - just goes wrong through the switch. I thought there were a lot of people who used Atlona products/switches around here? Guess I got what I paid for...

Do all of the HDMI solutions over cat5e use compression? I know the JAP/audio authority does, but what about the HDMI matrix switches that output to cat5e then have baluns at the receiving end? Do these also have the same handshake issues of regular HDMI switches?

Thanks for all the input folks!

My question was really directed to the zektor VP in regard to the hdmi over cat6 soultion.

I am using the component over cat 6 solution using an avm 562 avatrix (Audio Authority). It works perfectly and already has an RS232 driver for Control4 .

It works perfectly.

Archived