C4 Forums | Control4

Wake Up Scenes

Willt

I have set wake up scene for our bed room to turn on the lights and music in the morning. My problem is that it turns on all the lights in the room (we have 3 areas of lighting). Using a scene is it possible to turn on only one set of lights not the whole room?

I had previously had just a switch programed to turn on which was fine but wanted to play with the scenes. Is it an all or nothing thing with scenes?

Thanks in advance

Will

Dan, I appreciate your site and feed back here...

I am though a little confused... When a scene is created there are only two options Lights and Audio. Scenes are then assigned to a room and schedule. Where do I find an option for which lights I would like to operate in the room?

Thanks again,

Will

Willt, you're right...using the scene built in to the Wake Up agent there isn't any way to adjust what lights are turned on. What I would do is create a lighting scene separate from the wake up agent, and have the wake up agent activate that lighting scene.

Sorry...I programmed mine so long ago I didn't remember how I did it!

Will-

I know it took me a while to figure out composer, so just in case you didn't follow Dan's post... Under the "agents" tab leave lights unchecked. Then go to programming list and select wakeup agents on the left hand side. On the right hand side of the window select the light or lighting scene you want to turn on when the wake up scene activates. This will give you the control of the lighting scene you're looking for.

After you get a better handle on the programming definately refer to Dan's posts. Based on what I've seen on the forum and various blogs, if it can be done Dan knows how to do it or will be able to figure it out pretty quickly!

• 2 months later...

I have a question about wake-up scenes as well. Here is what I'm trying to do and it isn't working:

I have a heated floor in my MBath and I'm setting the wake-up for 2 hours before I really want to get up. It will then turn on the heated floor immediately.

Then 90 minutes into the scene, it will turn on the furnace/heat to the house to 65 degrees (30 minutes prior to actually getting up). This is via a C4 thermostat and I have scene 2 of the wake-up set to a 90 minute delay. I still want to use the normal next scheduled change to turn off the furnace/heat at a certain time. I also have another wake-up scene that will execute to turn on heat in a seconz zone of the house - again 90 minutes into the scene.

So today.... the heated floor didn't come on (and it had been working in the past until I attached it to the wake-up scene), nor did either of the two furnaces and just for kicks and giggles I had programmed a light to ramp-up to 40% over 15 minutes and that didn't work either.

Any thoughts?

PS I was going to attach my wake-up scene programming, but I don't see a way to upload it like I have seen others do. ==> maybe I figured it out now, not sure.

No one has any experience with wake-up scenes and can help?

I have another question after doing some trials. I now am able to manually execute a wake-up scene, but it's doing some weird things. I want it to set the temp to 68. What it does is, set the temp to 68 and then it sets it to 49, then 68, then 49 and it stays at 49.

No where in my programming do I have anything set that low. I checked all my programming and I cannot find anything that would cause this.

Has anyone seen this before?

Dan, do you have the wake-up set to the same time every day?

My problem is that I have a very erratic work schedule and my wake-up varies a couple of times a week. Could I make-up my own similar to the way you program it?

I like the idea of a write-up! I have used MANY of your write-ups already. Thank you for that.

1) Select agents on the left side of Composer HE and make sure the wake up agent is installed. Create a new wakeup called "Good Morning neeshu" Don't select any of the check boxes on the right.

2) Go to the programming tab and select wakeup on the left side of composer HE. If you created the wakeup correctly there should be a wakeup event called "Good Morning neeshu." Select that agent on the left and the top of the script window should say "When wakeup scene 'Good Morning neeshu' executes". Program what you want to happen here.

Using the new wakeup scene:

You created the wakeup using the agent, you essentially created a an alarm within control4 to trigger events. You can set the wakeup as you normally would changing the time every day, but you have all the capability of control 4 programming; there aren't any limitations of the wakeup agent. Select the wakeup using the gui with whatever time you want to

In fact, you could program the system so you input the actual time you want to get up instead of leading it. I'd have to think it through, but it has to be possible.

*edit*

Looking at your programming it looks like you're embedding wakeup events within wakeup scenes. I'd start by eliminating the other wakeup scenes and program what you want in the same window as that programming.

- your vacation mode doesn't stop the script- I assume you know that but just in case...

- What does the heated floor timer do? If it turns off the heated floor I would put this programming to start the timer whenever the floor is turned on instead of putting it in the wakeup programming. I'd also make sure it turns off the heat, not just toggles it.

- Instead of toggling the radiant floor heat I would turn it on; if the heat was on before your programming executed that would explain why the heat didn't turn on, but that doesn't explain the lights

How is the radiant floor controlled? Is it controlled by a thermostat? If so, instead of telling control4 to turn on the heat, why not just change the temperature setting? We don't need radiant floor heating in TX, but there have been times when I wish I had it... tile is cold in the morning :).

Thanks for your reply smccray.

I tried removing the embedded wakeup event (see attachments) and it still didn't work exactly right. But I have collected more information. It did turn on now, it just turned on after it should have. Below it what should have happened and what did happen.

Wakeup executed at 3AM, the heated floor comes on, based on if/then statement, either at 3, 3:20, or 3:40 depending on room temp in MBedroom. The furnace/heat turns on (2 different temperatures in 2 different heat zones) 90 minutes after the wakeup (3AM start).

The heated floor must be toggled versus turning on/off. The heated floor has a local thermostat that has a relay that can be used with an automation system - we had to wire a separate contact/relay to use with the IO extender (due to voltage issues). If I turn on/off the relay cycles continuously, but it works to just toggle. I know though that the floor wasn't on at one point and then off because it would have still been quite warm as it takes hours to ramp up and down again. But it was a thought.

First line is what should occur, the second line is what actually occured.

Start Heated Floor House Heat (offset) MBedRm Heat (offset)

Wake-up Alarm 3:00 AM 3:00, 3:20, 3:40 4:30 AM 4:30 AM

Actual 4:30 AM 6:00 AM 6:00 AM

So can someone answer some wakeup agent questions for me:

1) Is the offset in the wakeup agent for the entire wakeup scene or just the temperature portion or both?

2) I have stop commands after every if/then sequence. Will the remainder of the program not execute because of those stop statements? So if I have my heated floor if/then logic and I had anything after that, would that not execute?

Again, your help is appreciated.

Any reason why a wakeup scene wouldn't work to set a thermostat temp for a scene 2 (delayed scene) versus if it was the first scene to execute.

I have done more testing and the thermostat will adjust correctly if I use it with scene 1, but it will not react at all if I set it up under scene 2. I'm using the set temperature function of the scene.

Does anyone know if this is a known bug?

Does anyone know anything about wakeup scenes? I'm really looking for some help from someone that can confirm there is a bug in the wakeup agent (and then C4 could fix).

If would appear that if using scene 1 with a “before wakeup” offset then everything works as expected and the thermostat will come on and any programming script will execute. If I use an “after wakeup” offset, then nothing will execute until the offset time passes – in other words the wakeup itself doesn’t execute until the offset time passes.

And if a scene 2 is used, none of the thermostat logic executes at all, ever. Lighting will still work correctly (haven’t tried music yet) though.

I searched the forum to see if there was any information on wakeups, but couldn’t find anything. If, in fact, the wakeup agent doesn’t operate correct, it would be nice to get C4 to correct, but I would think clarification would be needed.

Can anyone help?

The heated floor must be toggled versus turning on/off. The heated floor has a local thermostat that has a relay that can be used with an automation system - we had to wire a separate contact/relay to use with the IO extender (due to voltage issues). If I turn on/off the relay cycles continuously, but it works to just toggle. I know though that the floor wasn't on at one point and then off because it would have still been quite warm as it takes hours to ramp up and down again. But it was a thought.

This doesn't make sense to me, but I can live with that. Not sure why an "on" command would cause the relay to cycle. I suspect the problem is with the thermostat. Any chance you have the thermostat sending a different message than the relay and it's confusing the floor heat?

My recommendation would be to simplify your programming and get rid of the different times depending on temperature. Get the programming working based on the simplest programming then make it more complicated.

Don't know if there's a bug in the wake-up scene, but somehow I doubt that's the issue. Are the control4 thermostats compatible with the radiant heating system?

1) Is the offset in the wakeup agent for the entire wakeup scene or just the temperature portion or both?

I believe it's just the temperature but I may be wrong.

2) I have stop commands after every if/then sequence. Will the remainder of the program not execute because of those stop statements? So if I have my heated floor if/then logic and I had anything after that, would that not execute?

I believe that stops everything.

Ok thanks for the additional information.

I'm going to test the on/off/toggle feature again. I had problems when the heated floor was first installed - I'll see if that is still an issue or not. I fully agree that it would be easier to use the on/off feature for a number of reasons.

The heated floor is not tied to a C4 thermostat. It has its own local thermostat, but there a contact/relay that allows for the heated floor to be turned on or off remotely. That's it. So we set the temperature of the heated floor in the local thermostat and then just send a signal from C4 to turn it on or off. Hence the convoluted if/then logic. I like the thought of trying a more simplistic approach though.

Thanks for the suggestions. Off I go :)

Archived