C4 Forums | Control4

backup

Backup is always a pain when you are dealing with this much storage. The nice thing is that once ripped to the hard drive, movies and music don't change. I have purchased a couple high capacity usb drives. I backup my media to the portable drives periodically and manually when I add new stuff. No reason to back up the same data over again. I also use raidX on my NAS so I do have redundancy there as well.

I have all my blue rays on a 6TB server now...

When I first was backing up my movies, I had about 20 blue ray files taking up space on my C-drive... I decided to add a second HD to my PC to free up space. I decided to "defrag" my PC first then copy and paste the blue ray file to the new HD...

What happened was all the blue ray movie files got corrupted, I believe by defraging more then just by the copying and pasting... All the movie were heavily pixelated from start to finish..... Had to start all over backing up my movie again, pain in the A$$...

The average Blue ray file I had was about 25GB, just the main movie...

Just don't Defrag your movie files.....

I have all my blue rays on a 6TB server now...

When I first was backing up my movies, I had about 20 blue ray files taking up space on my C-drive... I decided to add a second HD to my PC to free up space. I decided to "defrag" my PC first then copy and paste the blue ray file to the new HD...

What happened was all the blue ray movie files got corrupted, I believe by defraging more then just by the copying and pasting... All the movie were heavily pixelated from start to finish..... Had to start all over backing up my movie again, pain in the A$$...

The average Blue ray file I had was about 25GB, just the main movie...

Just don't Defrag your movie files.....

That is strange. Defrag by nature will move portions of the files around to maximize read performance of the hard drive. Unless something happened during the process it should be completely benign to the file itself. I will try this on a few movies to see what happens. What OS were you using when you defragged? Was the defrag program a third party tool?

That is strange. Defrag by nature will move portions of the files around to maximize read performance of the hard drive.

True, but don't forget 20 files of 25 GB (500) of high res video being shuffled around with another 45 plus gigs of miscellaneous file, and then being relocated in it own location.

I can see where pictures, text, and standard file not really showing any ill affects, but then playing back High Rev video with 5.1 Audio.... I think that is where, if any ill affect of defraging will been seen...

All I really know it happen to me once, so I never go down that road twice..

I can see where pictures, text, and standard file not really showing any ill affects, but then playing back High Rev video with 5.1 Audio.... I think that is where, if any ill affect of defraging will been seen...

All I really know it happen to me once, so I never go down that road twice..

Bits are bits, the defrag utility has no idea what type of file it is processing. It is VERY unlikely that a defrag caused your problem.

Bits are bits, the defrag utility has no idea what type of file it is processing.

I truly agree..

But I have no ideal what would of caused sporadic pixelation (artifacts) in all the movies from just transferring 20 BD file from one hard drive to a new hard drive... I did do a "copy all" and "past"?

The steps I do now is rip my blue ray disc with ToNMT 6.0.5 to a dedicated hard drive... After I have two to four BR files ready, I then "copy all" and "past" them to my server... Go my HDX1000 and pull up the movie when I'm ready, and every thing work prefect.... Never had one problem doing it that way...

Drobo FS is a nice solution, or get an HP media center ex495, x510. I personally use an HP x510 with 4 2TB green power drives. Stream blu-ray iso backups to my Popcorn hour C-200 without a problem. Make sure you invest in a good switch if your gonna stream. If this is just for backup then you can get an inexpensive switch. I use an HP Pro-curv 1810G for streaming.

Please note the current HP media servers use Windows Home server, which is actually based off Windows 2003. It only supports file duplication which means you set the folder you want to keep backed up and it will duplicate the contents of that folder spanned across the drives. No R.A.I.D

Mike

Archived