C4 Forums | Control4

Is Graboid legal?

wappinghigh

In my utter frustration at the lack of Netflix and Hulu availability outside the USA see http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=6871 , I have stumbled on Graboid.

I refuse to use bit torrents, because basically I'm a complete law abiding nerd :rolleyes: (but really, I want to do the right and legally correct thing by the artist, and copyright owners)

All I want is to legally use and watch some darn Movies and shows in a timely and technologically modern way for goodness sake..Is that too much to ask! ...

So how does Graboid differ from bit-torrents? I'm confused. They make you pay for the service. They say they are legal, and they have been in business over 3 years (without being shut down), but I would like some learned opinions from a few respected US based forum members before I launch in and actually use the Graboid service. Could someone please help on this incredibly confusing state of affairs. Thx! :)

They are located in Barbados Islands, and offering comissions--probably not so legally conscious. I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of the law of offering content in US vs Other Countries, but I would say that using a VPN or proxy service to watch these videos (and their money generating advertisements) is a lot different that downloading copyrighted material. But thats just me.

Thanks. Since the OP, I've delved a bit more into this...if we take dgb's approach to Netflix( it all depends on licensing fees) then if Graboid pays some of their revenue from subscriptions to content providers, then maybe this gives them legitamacy? I don't know if they do or not..so I've sent them off an email for "clarification"...well see..but given their website is pretty grey on all this, I'm not confident on getting a clear answer...

I seriously doubt they are paying the content owners. Sounds to me like a service that "rips" the "freely available" shows on websites and provides them for you to watch later. On top of that, they are an advertising banner site who may or may not pay out commissions according to some Googling.

"If it sounds too good to be true..."

Archived