C4 Forums | Control4

MAC Address Bug?

This is strange one.

I've recorded the unique identifiers for all of the C4 stuff I've purchased to date. In each case there was a 16 digit address in ascii and bar code (looks like a MAC address to me).

I land a Wireless Outlet Switch from eBay, it shows up with a 12 digit address. How the heck could this possibly work? I watched my installer enter in 16 digits (as opposed to automatically identifing) for my other devices.

All I can guess is that to make each of the two outlets addressable they use two additional digits.

No, they're not addressable via different MAC addresses.

The Outlet Dimmer / Outlet Switch units only have one ZigBee radio, thus only a single MAC for the ZigBee radio.

It should be the same length as the other devices. I'm looking at one right here (an outlet dimmer, but basically the same thing), and it has 16 digits... 000FFF000017F148.

All Control4 ZigBee radios start with 000FFF in the MAC address.

RyanE

Well. I have a 12 digit MAC address that starts 000FFF on a LOZ-5S1-W the last 6 are 00D8BA. I thought this was strange.

Four smacks on the button does not work either. The MAC never populates. The Power Learning process is solid. Works as described in

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=42901

I'm starting to wonder about this unit...might there be 4 digits somewhere inside?

thinslis,

I understand your intent. "Hexadecimal not decimal".

ASCII as in characters. Hexadecimal as in number system. Contol 4 has expressed the hexadecimal number in ASCII characters produced by an ASCII capable printer. The printer is also capable of "3 of 9" Bar Code printing apparently. Still, as I read both representations there is a valid 12 character ASCII string that can be interpreted as a hexadecimal number, but not a hexadecimal number that represents a typical MAC address! 12 vs. 16. Big problem as I see it.

thecodeman,

I'm going to award a BINGO to you without being certain you are correct. The evaluation I am working on allows used equipment. The LOZ-5S1-W purchased was purported to be running 1.74. Problem would become: if what does not work is a ZigBee connection, how could I check?

I'd also like to guess how my Dealer will update it with no connection. Must be a "plug in and 30 smacks of the top button sequence" trick.

Thank you both for your time spent already on this.

If it's on 1.8+, and you don't have any 1.8+ equipment to check it with and/or do not wish to upgrade to 1.8+, then it probably wont do much good to you, unfortunately.

*edit* additionally, it can be on 1.7.4 and not identify because it's not on the same zigbee channel as your system. Your dealer will be able to identify the channel it's on, and change it as necessary.

thinslis,

I understand your intent. "Hexadecimal not decimal".

ASCII as in characters. Hexadecimal as in number system. Contol 4 has expressed the hexadecimal number in ASCII characters produced by an ASCII capable printer. The printer is also capable of "3 of 9" Bar Code printing apparently. Still, as I read both representations there is a valid 12 character ASCII string that can be interpreted as a hexadecimal number, but not a hexadecimal number that represents a typical MAC address! 12 vs. 16. Big problem as I see it.

thecodeman,

I'm going to award a BINGO to you without being certain you are correct. The evaluation I am working on allows used equipment. The LOZ-5S1-W purchased was purported to be running 1.74. Problem would become: if what does not work is a ZigBee connection, how could I check?

I'd also like to guess how my Dealer will update it with no connection. Must be a "plug in and 30 smacks of the top button sequence" trick.

Thank you both for your time spent already on this.

Hex and decimal are two different ways of expressing the same string.

While it is possible that the same NUMBER, or number pairs, can be expressed by both hexadecimal and decimal NUMERAL SYSTEMS, they are not "two different ways of expressing the same string". This might be an application provided we have a context of what the string means, but this is not what "Hex and decimal are".

What they "are" is positional numeral systems with a radix, or base, of 16 and 10 respectively. Beyond that it's all about context.

In this case, the issue, still not resolved, is why a C4 LOZ-5S1-W Wireless Outlet Switch has a 12 character (ASCII and 3 of 9 Bar Code) string when it should be 16 characters. It should be 16 because we expect a MAC address to be 8 pair of hexadecimal digits. Note the context, not one BIG number, but a series of 8 pair. I have only 6 pair, printed for all the world to see.

BTW, I love mathematics, so precise.

thecodeman,

Thanks, you save me money when I can direct my Dealer down sane paths. I'm guessing that the 4 button trick not working means it is more likely a "rev up" issue since, certainly, the identification process must scan all channels. If it does not then I'm going to call that just crazy!

Again, thanks for your help, I gather a list of 30 direceted and researched tasks, write them down and save dollars when my Dealer is coding and not guessing.

Archived