C4 Forums | Control4

EVA or Logitech

jroza1

So my wife is after me to fix our media issue in the house. I work from home most days and well I tend to download a lot of films and she never gets to see them since they are on my NAS and laptops. So I have been given the green light to move forward in solving the problem.

I have been thinking about the EVA 9150, but I have seen some reports on here that YouTube and other internet sites don't work so well. The main requirements is that the device needs to have a USB port for my external drives, play a wide variety of formats, it must still allow for my single remote and control4, and it MUST be able to get to Pandora (Wife's requirement).

My brother thinks the EVA is going to fail against the GoogleTV device from Logitech. While the Logitech device is geared toward the emerging app world.

So for those of you following the Logitech stuff... how difficult do you think it would be to create a driver, including the keyboard? Next for those of you who have the EVA, have you ever tried to access Pandora and does it work?

The Eva9150 playing YouTube is now resolved, been using it. It is IP controlled so it can be easily be controlled via C4 remote & its own (i do that now too) I gotto check on the USB but I'm pretty sure there is at least one in the back. You most likely will not need it once you connect it with a NAS.

Digital Media File Formats (I only wish it also plays .TOD files)

MP3 up to 320 Kbps or variable bit rate (VBR)

WMA8 and WMA9 files up to 192 Kbps or variable bit rate (VBR)

WMV9 up to 1080p (to 40 Mbps)

Internet radio (streaming MP3)

Video codecs: MPEG 1/2/4 SD; MPEG-2 HD HP@HL to 40 Mbps; MPEG-4 Part 2 HP@HL to 10 Mbps (Xvid); H.264 HP@HL 4.1, VC1/ WMV9HD to 1080p 40 Mbps

Video file formats: AVI, DivX, Xvid, WMV9, MOV, M4V, VOB, MPG, MP1, MP2, MP4, ISO, IFO, MKV, TS, M2TS, PS

Audio formats: MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WMA-Pro, M4A, M4P, Dolby Digital, DTS Passthrough, PCM, LPCM, WAV (multichannel to 192 KHz)

Photo formats: JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF

Playlist formats: WPL, ASX, WAX, WVX, PLS, M3U, RMP

Subtitle formats: SRT, SUB, SMI, TXT, MKV SSA, M2TS PGS

Have you checked out Netgear NeoTV550

http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=6956

Not sure about Google TV but wouldn't mind seeing a comparison between the two

So my wife is after me to fix our media issue in the house. I work from home most days and well I tend to download a lot of films and she never gets to see them since they are on my NAS and laptops. So I have been given the green light to move forward in solving the problem.

I have been thinking about the EVA 9150, but I have seen some reports on here that YouTube and other internet sites don't work so well. The main requirements is that the device needs to have a USB port for my external drives, play a wide variety of formats, it must still allow for my single remote and control4, and it MUST be able to get to Pandora (Wife's requirement).

My brother thinks the EVA is going to fail against the GoogleTV device from Logitech. While the Logitech device is geared toward the emerging app world.

So for those of you following the Logitech stuff... how difficult do you think it would be to create a driver, including the keyboard? Next for those of you who have the EVA, have you ever tried to access Pandora and does it work?

I use a couple of EVA9150's in my house and really enjoy them. I have never tried Pandora...sorry.

GoogleTV is a content aggregator. The Netgear devices are content players. Thats the way I see it - GoogleTV by itself isn't going to help playback media on my NAS, but in theory it could "crawl" the metadata and allow me to find it in a search, and then play it back using the Netgear.

Archived