C4 Forums | Control4

large homes using Control4?

I'm building a large home and have been contemplating using C4 for lighting, security, HVAC, and audio, while using Windows MCE and XBox 360's for video. The home is approx. 9500 sq ft and I'm worried this size of home may push the limit of C4 (both for mesh network and # of devices). Here's a draft of the initial design... while I'm sure it will change it provides an idea of the system:

Item Quantity

Media Controller 1

HT Controller 1

LCD Keypad 10

4" Touch Screen 3

10.5" Touch Screen 1

Dimmer 75

Switch 7

2 Button Keypad 16

Multi-Channel Amp 2

Multi-Tuner 1

6" Pair of Speakers 15

8" Pair of Speakers 1

Thermostat 4

Alarm Sytem 1

Motion Sensors 10

Does anyone have experience w/ this type of installation (sq ft or # devices/loads)? I have heard that C4 works great in homes up to 5 - 6k sq ft, though above this it becomes problematic. I didn't get specifics on the problems created other than the number of devices in large homes started to "push the limit", whatever that means.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as the house framing is close to completion so I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks!

We have done a system that was somewhat similar in size and content. I have to say that I feel like we have pushed the Limits of C4. I don't know what the problem is, but there seem to be ghosts in that system that we just don't get on our smaller jobs. It's almost like the C4 is trying to do too much, but again, I don't know what is causing all the little quarks.

I'm in Salt Lake City. The dealer is confident but their largest installation is approx. 5k sq ft... which I walked through w/ their tech / programmer. I'm comfortable in their abilities, but worry that they'll run into C4's capacity issues. The dealer stated that the extra HTC should be used to separate the audio from the lighting control, which is supposed to help scale the system. Thoughts?

stevens,

My house is pretty close to that size of devices, although it's only 4500 sq. feet.

I do have all my zigbee devices (about 50-60) controlled by a separate HTC, which does help keep the response time for zigbee down.

I am somewhat biased, since I work for Control4, but we do have some installations with well over 100 zigbee devices, which are working fine.

RyanE

I seriously doubt the size of your home will be an issue. A Zigbee signal has a very large range. I was able to control lights in my house over 300 feet away down the street with the hand-held remote. The stated range is up to 250 feet so unless you have more then 250 feet between each Zigbee device, you should be fine.

Since every Zigbee device is a repeater, the more devices you have, the better the mesh network. You’ll only have 112 Zigbee devices. Everything else is either wired or WiFi. If there are issues, it's not because of Zigbee.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Although I do not have a ton of knowledge or experience, although I have been to training, I would definitely say you have the possibility of pushing the processors in the HTC and the Media Controller a bit too far. It helps to have a bit more processing power in the home, so switch out an LCD keypad or two with an HTC on the TV and a 3 or 6 button keypad at the door/transient area. This is a more useful scenario for most bedrooms or TV centric zones. A theoretical limit is 250 zigbee devices per controller, but the suggested amount is around 100-125. Coverage should not be an issue due to the number of light switches, but leave a little slack for a few extra devices to fine tune your coverage.

The dealer stated that the extra HTC should be used to separate the audio from the lighting control, which is supposed to help scale the system. Thoughts?

Using a HTC as just the Zigbee server will help in your system. This removes the load from the main controller. A very good option, and I would suggest it, as did your dealer. Since he's in SLC I would venture to guess that he's on top of things training wise, etc. I say add the additional controller for the lighting.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived