C4 Forums | Control4

Lost ability to control DVD changer

Hi everyone -- hope I've posted this in the right place.

I have been using a Sony 400-disc DVD/Blu Ray changer (7000ES I think, if that's helpful) with my C4 system for more than 6 months now with no issues. Then last weekend I stopped being able to control the DVD changer with my C4 system. I can tell C4 to switch over to the DVD Changer with the remote (and the video/audio switches over), but then I can't turn the DVD changer on or use any of the controls (play/disc change/pause/anything). It's like all communication has stopped with the DVD player -- I have to open up my console and use the Sony remote that came with the DVD changer. When I try to Scan a new disk in the DVD changer with Computer (1.8.2), nothing happens, cementing my belief that there is just no communicating between the changer and my HC-300.

It was all working fine last Saturday, then I gave the Control4 remote to our friends' 9-year-old daughter to control the Harry Potter Blu Ray disc she was preparing to watch...and she called us into the room to help her b/c the DVD changer wasn't responding to the remote. I can't imagine what if anything she did to make it mad, so I don't think it was her. I'm pretty sure no one was in the console messing with the wires, either.

I refreshed navigators in Composer, and I even unplugged/replugged my HC-300. Nothing works. Ideas? I'm about to call my programmer, but they're closed on Sunday, and I'm wondering if there's a quick fix....

Thanks!

Thanks so much for responding! I just tried to power cycle again (even unplugged and replugged this time) and also went into the settings to check that R232 Control was on per Brent's suggestion (it was -- I had never been into those settings, and was glad to see that there's a "child lock" setting!). No luck. I appreciate the help, though! I'd run out of ideas....

Any other thoughts?

Here's something -- when I go to Network Update under Setup, it tells me that connection status cannot be confirms and tells me to check the power to the router and cables, etc. Since the changer is connected to my C4 system, is it on a "network?" Or should I get that error message given the setup with C4? Just a thought... Thanks again!

The blue ray changer is rs 232 controlled..... not ip based at all, therefore its not a network problem. Ive had the same problem with my changer. Power cycling the controller usually does it for me... but try this... with the changer off, disco the rs 232 cable from the back of the changer, power the changer on, then reconnect the rs 232 cable. You said you have composer, which version? ME, HE or Pro?

Thanks, d.jakes. I have Composer ME. I've turned the DVD Changer on and off and unplugged-replugged it. I've also unplugged and replugged the HC-300 (I have read there's a reset button back there but I can't get to it without a lot of trouble...). What does the rs232 cable look like? I just looked, and I see video and audio out, a digital out (coaxial), a subwoofer (looks like a serial port for a computer) cable, and the power cable... I'd love to try unplugging the rs232 cable, but I'm not sure which one is the lucky cable...

Thanks so much for your help!

Your HC-300 will only have a reset button if its a new version "C" series. It is important that the changer is OFF when you disco the cable and ON when you reconnect it. And dogdvr is correct, it will look like a computer serial cable. If I remember correctly, if you are looking at the back of the changer, it is in the upper right quarter of the changer. Also, you will have to unscrew the two posts that protrude out from the cable end.... Dont just pull on the cable. Sorry if that sounded elementary, didnt mean it too... Just have some non-tech friends that just jerk on cables and ruin alot of equipment

OK, turned off changer, unplugged the cable, turned on changer (and let it warm up), then plugged in the cable. Still no communication going on between C4 and the changer. Also tried refreshing navigators again in Composer. It's strange because the C4 is still controlling my Tivo just fine...

The serial cable was toward the left of the back of the changer, but it's the only serial cable that was back there (and I did indeed have to unscrew the posts -- just like a printer cable!). I hope that was right...I don't think I saw another serial cable...

Thanks again! Y'all have been so nice to help. Thanks for sharing with me these fixes -- it feels good to have tried them before I call the dealer tomorrow. I'm still open to other ideas, though, if there are more!

Lazygirl.... I'm out of ideas, I'm sorry. I've never seen Composer ME, so I'm not sure if you are able to view the communication status of the changer (I'm guessing you arent able to see that). In Composer PRO, you are able to see the 2-way communication status between the HC-300 and the changer. And without the ability to remote in to your system, I'm afraid I wont be much help. Also, sorry about the misinformation on the location of the cable on the changer, but I was pretty close :) I hope your dealer is able to resolve this issue for you. Good luck.

D.

Thanks so much for your help -- at least now I can tell the programmers what I've tried! I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice. I'll post what the fix turned out to be (assuming it's something that is easy to post...I've found that a lot of times, the programmers end up not being sure what it was that fixes things like this!).

Thanks again, everyone. My programmer is not sure what he did to fix it (and it took almost 2 hours), but he updated firmware and did this and that, and it works now. Hooray! I'm sure I sounded very knowledgeable in the ways of C4 when I told him what all I tried (and I gave you all the credit) -- so thanks very much for your help! Wish I could tell you how exactly this got resolved... Joe, it might have been a firmware problem, at least in part.

Happy holidays to all, and thanks for helping! This is such a nice group of folks...

Archived