C4 Forums | Control4

Need suggestion for a Blu-ray player from Best Buy...

NkySpike65

A family member is given me a $200 gift card from Best Buy for Christmas.

I plan on getting a Blu-ray player, but not to sure which one to get. Needs to play well with C4, I understand I will have to go the IR route..

I already have a PS3, so I'm fine there. Already have a PC hooked up to my system, so Internet apps is not a big deal to me. Don't need 3D... Again just looking for a stand alone Blu-ray player to add to the setup...

I can add another $50 to the $200. So for under $250 what Blu-ray player would you suggest I get from Best Buy, that plays well with C4?

Here a link for Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Blu-ray-DVD-Players/Blu-ray-Players/abcat0102003.c?id=abcat0102003

I do have a Best Buy Magnolia store not to far from me....

Thanks for the help.

David

I have the Sony BDP-S370. Bought it when it first came out as a new model, and of course it was $179.99 then :(

I have been happy with it. It has discrete power on/off IR codes (remote has only power toggle button, but I found a different Sony model's codes and they worked). For $10 more I would get the S570, has the built in memory and wi-fi. I used a USB memory stick and have ethernet connection to the internet. I love the picture quality compared to the several year old Samsung I had and the load speed it much, much faster as well.

Just checked and there are now drivers already for the S370, 470, and 570 models, but I think I when I got mine I built the driver and added the Power On/Power Off IR commands I had found on remotecentral.com.

I have the Panasonic DMP-BD65K (now only $129.99). There is a specific driver for this unit and it works great with my C4 setup. Also, I like the fact that it gets firmware updates via ethernet or wifi (my old Sony player did not have that and I would have to order an update disc every now and then).

I would stick to the PS3. The PS3 is still by far the best Blueray player on the market. If you are sticking to IR control, there are a few products on the market that will convert IR to Bluetooth, so you can turn on and off the PS3 as well as all the other controls. I am using the one made be Logiech. Works like a charm....

I would stick to the PS3. The PS3 is still by far the best Blueray player on the market. If you are sticking to IR control, there are a few products on the market that will convert IR to Bluetooth, so you can turn on and off the PS3 as well as all the other controls. I am using the one made be Logiech. Works like a charm....

Meh, I disagree. It's the best Blu-ray + gaming console, and likely the best thing available at a BB where the OP can use a gift card. However, the best BR players in the market, IMO, are the OPPO players. The upcoming BDP-93 will IMO set a new standard for the "standalone" players.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

I would stick to the PS3. I am using the one made be Logitech. Works like a charm....

I'm also using the Logitech bluetooth adapter with my PS3, with out a problem. But I just looking for a real nice Blu-ray player around $250, that will work with C4. I'm not taking the PS3 out, just want to add a stand alone player...

My personal opinion is you are better off using the PS3 and spend your money on some thing else. I know thecodeman disagrees with me, but do you think Sony would let a new blue-ray format out and not be able to play those formats on the PS3.

Archived