C4 Forums | Control4

GE Concord bus Failure

Sprinky216

Attention All:

This problem is major and you could get a big feather in your cap for figuring this out. This would be a problem for an advanced installer only.

Background: I had my C4 system installed and programmed 8-25-10, with everything working perfectly from my lights to media to my security panel. I would receive texts if states in the alarm changed and what not. Working perfect!

On 8-27-10 we had a lightening strike that took out my HC-300, my 8 channel amp, an HC-200, a couple dimmers, and some other non-C4 products. I ordered all new equipment for what was damaged and also added an HC-1000 to the project. All the equipment is now installed and everything working with the exception of the GE Concord panel. The security company was out today double checking the panel and all connections and wire going into the panel, checked continuity on every wire and even ran some new 4 conductor to the superbus 2000 home automation module. The module was properly learned into the panel, the panel has only one partition, and currently three zones. When hooking it up, it is attached to the 300 on serial one and all the lights flash like they are supposed to on the unit. The serial cable was then attached and I checked the box serial debug. The green half circle shows up and some communication is being received via RS-323. The GE panel says bus unit failure. On the 7" touch some numbers work when touched and some other buttons, but not all. When an alarm comes in I'm suppose to get a text but nothing happens. The panel still says bus unit failure. The serial cable is a nine pin straight through cable and every pin was tested.

I'm currently running 2.04, also the security panel was completely removed from the project, the panel powered down and everything brought back online. The proper connections have been made in Composer pro, the binding and all that.

The module is right next to the 300, also the home automation module has been replaced, and I bought an extra, and the same result with both. The module is part number: 60-783-02

Who is going to figure this out, need access to my system, let me know, come on installers show the other guys who's boss!

Still need more info, let me know, by the way, I'm a home user and do not have access to Composer Pro.

Ryan

If you switched the Automation bus module the old modules are still learned in the security system. These must be deleted. When the security system can't find them you get the bus error. The bus devices have an identification number associated with them which is on a sticker on the circuit board. It doesn't sound like you are getting an "AM2" error which is good. This means that your module is talking to C4 properly.

As for the button issues could you let me know what is working and what is not? . I have setup probably about 2 dozen GE's but haven't run into the button problems you are describing or at least none of my clients have complained about it... yet.... By the end of next week I will have a GE setup at my home to run through the motions. I am sure others in the forum can let you know if they have these same "button" problems with their GE panels.

Let me know if you are still getting the bus error but that button problem is something really strange. I have systems operating on 2.04 without that issue. if the number lockout is just when pressing the arming button try pressing 2 + "alarm code" does it arm to stay?

Have you added (or had) another security panel driver (or a second copy of the GE driver) at some point in your project?

Security panel drivers typically have multiple security bindings available, even though there may only be a single partition in use typically. The bindings are auto-bind, so if you have a previous panel that has (for example) 2 partitions available, but only 1 was being used, and added a second panel driver, the partition that 'belongs' to the second panel will actually be assigned to the first security driver.

The solution to this is to remove *all* security panel drivers from the project, and add a single security panel driver back in, then do all the setup on the panel again.

Control4 only supports having a single security system panel in a project at a time.

RyanE

• 3 months later...

I wanted to leave an update about the bus failure unit.

My alarm guy said he tested the security panel and things were good, but as it turned out the main board in the panel was bad, causing the bus failure unit. Everything was hooked up right and working properly, just a bad board.

Ryan

Archived