C4 Forums | Control4

A newbie needs some help

Steph0100

I just came from a local C4 dealer and I'm a little confused by what was said. My goal is to have all of my video files (.avi) stored on a NAS in my basement, and then stream these files on any of 3 TV's throughout the house.

Once I download my content to the NAS, I want to be able to immediately stream the content (multiple content simultaneously to different TV's), and I was told that before that could be done, I had to use the C4 PC software to sync the content to C4?? He told me that he could program it so that it would sync at a certain time every day automatically, however he said that this sync had to be done before I could play my media.

As I indicated above, I am a total newbie to C4, however once the video files are on the NAS, shouldn't I be able to access them immediately without having to sync anything? Why would I have to complete this extra step considering C4 is already connected to the NAS, and therefore should just be able to read it as is? Perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks!

Depends on how much new content was added, having it set to scan at a certain time of the day is a good idea especially when you aren't going to use the new content right away, then you wouldn't need to scan unless you added something after the last scan.

Scans are very fast now. I just scanned one of my libraries which has 430 movies, and four were new. It took about 8 seconds.

It should probably be mentioned that scans are not done in composer itself anymore, rather they are done in the master controller IIRC, so in addition to the smaller / more efficient media DB in use on 2.0, it also takes advantage of the processor of the HC1000 if applicable.

Thanks everyone for your help. Ok, this will undoubtedly be a stupid question, however like I said, I am a newbie so I thank you in advance for your patience.

Controller i assume is the pc software that C4 runs from. So when you say that scans are not done in composer itself anymore, are you saying that I don't need a pc hooked up to my C4 system to arrange for a scan? Does this mean that as long as I have an HC1000, I can organize my scans through it?

Again, sorry for the question, I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around this and while I love the idea of C4, I would love it even more if I didn't need a Windows PC hooked up to it...

The Controller is the HC1000. Composer is software that allows you to make/modify programming on the controller (director).

I don't automate my scanning, and I have Composer, so I don't know how it would work if you setup scanning automatically and then took away Composer. I assume it would work fine, however you should be aware that the cover art lookup isn't 100% accurate, so you may need to modify things from time to time.

Dan,

It resides 100% on director now, so composer does not have to be on or hooked up. You can start it through programming, or hook up composer and start it and then disconnect.

If you want an easy solution and you plan on doing alot of rips then program a double tap on a button to start a scan.

Brent

^that's a good idea, thanks for the info Brent.

There is still going to be the issue of the system incorrectly loading metadata. People will be looking for a movie, they won't find it and will assume it isn't there, when Composer really just scanned it in as some other title. For example, the other day, I noticed I have 7 copies of the movie "Ice Age". One was really Ice Age, the other six were other movies that just got tagged as that for some reason.

I can't get Composer HE to pull any media data for my Nas movies and it does a really half assed job on my music library. The only way I can get it to work is to manually edit\scan each movie. Even then, I'd have to say the quality of metadata you get from Gracenote is pathetic. The cover art is blurry, the descriptions generally poor etc. You can get far better meta data and scanning for free from "My Movies" but Control4 seems to be unable to use any of this data. If anyone has any fixes please let me know, I've got 800 more movies to manually retag... retag... retag....retag....:(

Archived