C4 Forums | Control4

Remote Function Outside (Patio)?

Just curious, I am having 7 zones of distributed audio done on my new house. Will I be able to control the volume, etc. with the remote while sitting on my "attached" patio? The touchscreen will be mounted in the kitchen next to the sliding glass door to the patio. Seems like it should, but the company that is working on my quote seemed to think it would be a problem.

Should work fine.

From what I've heard, depending on how many Zigbee devices you have and how strong your zigbee network is, you might be able to control it from a couple hundred feet away in the back yard.

Why does the company feel it will be a problem?

I use my remote outside and even across the street and my controller is in the basement. They work pretty far away, and really it just depends on building materials and various other variables. How big is your house, what all are you using in it, is your porch 200 feet away from your house? :-)

Really though, the distance is usually really good. Every one of our clients have audio outside on their back porch and use their remote out there.

Archived